Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The logic behind the cross product with units

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    The cross product equals to the area of the parallelogram defined by the two vectors (at least in R^3). So if working on vectors which units

v_1 = (1,2,3)m
    v_2 = (3,4,5)m

it correctly returns the according area. However, if used to get a vector perpendicular to each of the vectors the resulting vectors has the unit m^2.

How does this fit together? Whats the term for the "dimension" of this vector anyway, since it's actual dimension is 3 (am I mistaken here?) as in the field of R^3.

Thanks for your help, PF
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not clear what your question is. Yes, v_1, v_2, and their cross product all have dimension 3. But I don't know what you mean by "the term for the dimension".

If the "m" on v_1 and v_2 means "meters" and denotes that the components are in meters, yes, their cross product will have units of m^2, an area. General vectors, of course, either don't have units, or if in a specific application, units appropriate to that application. In that case the cross product of two vectors will have "square units" since it is a multiplication- just as the dot product of two such vectors will have "square units".

Yes, you can think of the cross product of two vectors as representing an area: here the area "between" the two vectors. In fact, if you are given a surface represented by a vector equation, [itex]\vec{r}= f(u,v)\vec{i}+ g(u,v)\vec{j}+ h(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex] with the two parameters u and v, then the derivatives with respect to u and v, [itex]\vec{r}_u= f_u(u,v)\vec{i}+ g_u(u,v)\vec{j}+ h_u(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_v= f_v(u,v)\vec{i}+ g_v(u,v)\vec{j}+ h_v(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex] are vectors tangent to the surface and their cross product is a vector normal to the surface and its length is the "differential of surface area".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?