The magnitude and direction of the minimum magnetic field

In summary, the conversation involves finding the value of F in the equation F=ILB. The participants discuss using the formula F=(48)(.76)B and F/36.48=B, but are unsure if there is another formula they are missing. They also discuss the direction of the B field and how it can be specified using unit vectors. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that the expression should be solved in terms of symbols first before plugging in numbers.
themountain
Homework Statement
A .76 meter long wire runs horizontally and carries a current of 28 A from left to right. What would be the magnitude and direction of the minimum magnetic field to suspend the wire in mid air if the wire has a mass of 46.6 g/m
Relevant Equations
F=ILB
F=ILB
F=(48)(.76)B
F/36.48=B
I am stuck at how to find F, is there a different formula I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a different force? If the current were turned off, would the wire still be suspended in mid air?

• Informative
Likes themountain
Ok, so F=ma so F=(46.6)(-9.8) so the force is 456.68. Using my past calculations, 456.68/36.48=B so B=12.52 T and the direction is perpendicular to the wire, so direction is 90 degrees. Is this correct? Thanks!

themountain said:
Ok, so F=ma so F=(46.6)(-9.8) so the force is 456.68. Using my past calculations, 456.68/36.48=B so B=12.52 T and the direction is perpendicular to the wire, so direction is 90 degrees. Is this correct? Thanks!
Not correct.
1. The mass 46.6 is incorrect. It has no units and it's the wrong number.
2. The direction of the B field is ambiguous, 90 degrees relative to what? Use the directions of gravity and the current to specify the direction of the field or, even better, use unit vectors.

I would recommend getting an expression in terms of symbols and then put in the numbers at the very end.

• Informative
Likes themountain
46.6 x .76 =35.416g
so F=(35.416)(-9.8) which means F=347.07
347.07/36.48= 9.514 T and it is towards bottom of the page

themountain said:
46.6 x .76 =35.416g
so F=(35.416)(-9.8) which means F=347.07
347.07/36.48= 9.514 T and it is towards bottom of the page
Please put units next to numbers. Your F is still incorrect and so is what you divide it by.
Once more, I would recommend getting an expression in terms of symbols and then put in the numbers at the very end. It would be much easier to find your mistakes.

1. What is the minimum magnetic field?

The minimum magnetic field is the smallest amount of magnetic field strength that can be detected in a given area.

2. How is the magnitude of the minimum magnetic field measured?

The magnitude of the minimum magnetic field is typically measured using a magnetometer, which detects and measures the strength of magnetic fields.

3. What factors can affect the direction of the minimum magnetic field?

The direction of the minimum magnetic field can be affected by the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field, the presence of other magnetic fields, and the distance from the source of the magnetic field.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding the minimum magnetic field?

Understanding the minimum magnetic field is important in various fields such as geology, archaeology, and navigation. It can also be used in industries such as mining and oil exploration to locate and map magnetic anomalies.

5. Can the minimum magnetic field change over time?

Yes, the minimum magnetic field can change over time due to various factors such as the movement of the Earth's tectonic plates, changes in the Earth's magnetic field, and human activities that can alter the magnetic field in a specific area.