The Magnus Effect, what is the formula/equation?

I'm currently doing a project for my A-Level Physics group, and I have chosen to look into the Magnus Effect, however, I'm struggling to find an equation for it? Really need help here! Thank you!

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last edited by a moderator:

rcgldr

Homework Helper
I'm not aware of real world formulas. There are idealized formulas for spinning cylinders, but these are fairly off from actual real world examples.

Wiki article, the lift force related to Magnus effect is due to diversion of air flow in the wake that trails the spinning ball:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

Another archived seperation of flow explanation:

wayback_machine_magnus_effect.htm

Thank you! But with the equation f(magnus) = S(v)w x v
What does the S(v)w mean?
Also, in the farside article, what is the B=S/m equation for?

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
S will be the spin of the ball, which is a function of it's speed, w is actually ##\omega## - the angular velocity, and v is the linear velocity. The x in the middle is a cross product. So that's ##S(v)[\vec{\omega} \times \vec{v}]## ... you have to read some of htese things quite carefully since they will gve you the definitions by implication rather than explicitly.

There's quite a bit about the magnus force out there - you should read around.

Okay, thank you very much!

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not aware of real world formulas. There are idealized formulas for spinning cylinders, but these are fairly off from actual real world examples.

Wiki article, the lift force related to Magnus effect is due to diversion of air flow in the wake that trails the spinning ball:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

Another archived seperation of flow explanation:

wayback_machine_magnus_effect.htm
This has to be the underlying (correct) 'reason' because, otherwise one would have a reactionless force. How the air is deflected must also be for (correct) aerodynamic reasons. As with the concurrent discussion thread on How Aeroplanes Fly, people introduce a similar false dichotomy. Can't we maintain more than one ball in the air at a time (mentally)?

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads