Please help - magnus force and drag force equations

In summary, the Magnus force equation is a mathematical formula that describes the force exerted on a spinning object moving through a fluid. It is related to drag force and can significantly affect the object's trajectory. The strength of the Magnus force depends on factors such as the speed and rate of spin of the object, as well as the density and shape of the fluid. The Magnus force can be calculated using a specific equation. To reduce or control the Magnus force, one can adjust the speed or rate of spin of the object, change its shape or surface properties, or add aerodynamic features.
pikula
Hello everyone, i have a question, please help me with equations for magnus force and drag force...i have found an equations for drag force it's, Fd=1/2 * density * v2 * A * Cd .

but i can't find equation for magnus force...can anyone tell where i can find it, or if somebody know, let me know :) i am seeking for an equation of magnus force that have coefficient also (like Cd in drag force equation)...

thanks !

i need that for a task with ball on which drag and magnus force are acting

Physics news on Phys.org
anybody? :(

1. What is the Magnus force equation and how is it related to drag force?

The Magnus force equation is a mathematical formula that describes the force exerted on a spinning object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is related to drag force because it is one of the components that contributes to the overall drag force on an object.

2. How does the Magnus force affect the trajectory of a spinning object?

The Magnus force acts perpendicular to the direction of motion of a spinning object. This means that it can either lift or push the object in a different direction, depending on the direction of spin. This can significantly affect the object's trajectory and cause it to deviate from its intended path.

3. What factors influence the strength of the Magnus force?

The strength of the Magnus force depends on several factors, including the speed of the object, the density of the fluid, the size and shape of the object, and the rate of spin. A faster-moving object or a higher rate of spin will result in a stronger Magnus force.

4. How can the Magnus force be calculated?

The Magnus force can be calculated using the following equation: FM = ρnvsS, where ρ is the density of the fluid, n is the rate of spin, vs is the speed of the object, and S is the cross-sectional area of the object.

5. How can the Magnus force be reduced or controlled?

To reduce or control the Magnus force on an object, one can adjust the speed or rate of spin of the object, or change its shape or surface properties. In some cases, adding fins or other aerodynamic features can also help to minimize the effects of the Magnus force.