Revamped GRE Exam: All You Need to Know | 2011 General GRE Updates

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General Gre
In summary, the GRE underwent major changes in 2011, including the elimination of the analogies section and the introduction of an adaptive format and an essay section. Many people found the old format challenging and exhausting, with some even taking multiple GREs in a single day. However, the revised GRE may still be seen as a waste of time and money by some, and there are still some graduate programs that do not require it for admission.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Coming in August 2011, the revised GRE

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/faq/

The new format is supposed to be about 3 hours and 45 minutes long. Good heavens!

I do like the part about being able to skip back and forth between the quantitative questions, though. I think the adaptive format psyched a lot of people out.

Note: I'll probably never take this test. Just curious what others think about the overhaul of the exam.

Physics news on Phys.org
Back in the day, you took the General in the morning and the Subject in the afternoon. That was a long, long day!

No more analogies? No more "Dixie cup is to fuse box as communism is to ____"?

So glad I took this thing before they introduced an essay section. It was really easy, I guess too easy.

Vanadium 50 said:
Back in the day, you took the General in the morning and the Subject in the afternoon. That was a long, long day!

I have the greatest admiration for anyone who could get through that. My brain would overheat.

No more analogies? No more "Dixie cup is to fuse box as communism is to ____"?
Trombone. :smile:

jbunniii said:
So glad I took this thing before they introduced an essay section. It was really easy, I guess too easy.

You lucked out. I expect the aim of ETS is just to make the GRE harder and harder, and 20 years from now there will be a gymnastics component. :smile:

I took the GRE the first offering after they switched to the adaptive with the essay. It was daunting. I did much better on the essays than I thought I would, but much worse on the vocabulary. Every time I got a vocab word correct, the next one was completely inane. And god forbid I guessed a second one correct... just horrible.

The inability to change answers and go back made me insane. I am glad they changed that.

Vanadium 50 said:
I did that twice, both at a time when there was a logic section. Since when was the logic section replaced with a writing section?

I also took multiple Praxis tests in a single day (it may have been the two Praxis II tests for math), but I don't remember that day being as long as it was taking 2 GRE's in a day.

eumyang said:
I did that twice, both at a time when there was a logic section. Since when was the logic section replaced with a writing section?

In 2002 I believe. I was banking on the logic section... oh was I surprised.

I am glad I don't have to take the GRE ever again ! :biggrin:

What a waste of time! and money!

Math Is Hard said:
...there will be a gymnastics component.
Followed by 5 rounds in the cage with George St. Pierre.

I am curious, does any sane person just plainly refuse to go along with this charade and apply to Grad School without it?

Cyclovenom said:
I am glad I don't have to take the GRE ever again ! :biggrin:

What a waste of time! and money!

Yup, I wasted three months on the GREs,, time that could have been spent on studying more valuable things..

Sankaku said:
Followed by 5 rounds in the cage with George St. Pierre.
:rofl:

I am curious, does any sane person just plainly refuse to go along with this charade and apply to Grad School without it?

I think resistance would be futile. At least there are still some programs that don't require GRE for admission.

1. What are the changes in the revamped GRE exam in 2011?

The revamped GRE exam in 2011 saw changes in the test structure, question types, and scoring system. The exam was shortened from 4 hours to 3 hours and 45 minutes, and the number of sections was reduced from 5 to 3. The new question types included multiple-choice questions, numeric entry questions, and text completion questions. The scoring system also changed from a scale of 200-800 to a scale of 130-170 for Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections.

2. Is the content of the revamped GRE exam different from the previous version?

Yes, the content of the revamped GRE exam is different from the previous version. The new exam focuses more on critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis skills rather than just memorization of vocabulary and mathematical formulas. The Verbal Reasoning section also includes new question types such as sentence equivalence and text completion, while the Quantitative Reasoning section includes real-life scenarios and data interpretation questions.

3. How should I prepare for the revamped GRE exam?

To prepare for the revamped GRE exam, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the new question types and format of the exam. You can practice using official GRE study materials and take practice tests to assess your strengths and weaknesses. It is also helpful to develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as to improve your English language proficiency.

4. Are there any changes in the scoring of the revamped GRE exam?

Yes, there are changes in the scoring of the revamped GRE exam. As mentioned earlier, the scoring scale for Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections changed from 200-800 to 130-170. Additionally, the Analytical Writing section is now scored on a scale of 0-6 instead of 0-6. The total score range for the exam is now 260-340, with 1-point increments instead of 10-point increments.

5. Can I still use my old GRE scores for graduate school applications?

Yes, you can still use your old GRE scores for graduate school applications. However, keep in mind that some schools may prefer or require the revamped GRE scores. It is best to check with the specific schools you are applying to for their requirements. Additionally, some schools may accept both old and new GRE scores and allow you to choose which one to submit.