1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The max value of the fourth derivative

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to write a program to calculate an integral using Simpson's Rule. My program also needs to calculate the error. In the formula for error I need The max value of the fourth derivative. The function is 2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex] and the interval is from 0 to 2

2. Relevant equations
    |E|[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{(b-a)^{5}}{180n^{4}}[/itex][max|f[itex]^{(4)}[/itex](x)|]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The fourth derivative of 2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex] is approximately
    (x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+6x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3)*2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex]
    When evaluated at 2 this gives 317.729... Since there is a lot of math involved I would appreciate if someone can review this especially since my program is returning strange results. Also, is there anything I can learn by evaluating the fifth derivative?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It would be better to write your function exactly, as e(1/2)x2. The fourth derivative is e(1/2)x2(x4 + 6x2 + 3).

The first factor is always positive and is increasing, so can be ignored for the time being. What about y = x4 + 6x2 + 3? What does the graph of this function look like on the interval [0, 2]? Can you determine where its max. value is?

4. May 9, 2013 #3
    It is certainly helpful to keep it in the form e(1/2)x2 and now I see that the max value of the fourth derivative is 43e2.
    I am not sure why the first factor can be ignored, but for y = x4 + 6x2 + 3 I find a max value of 43 @ x=2.

So, which is it 43 or 43e2(317.729)?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  5. May 9, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you'll recall, I said "ignored for the time being."
    For the max value of f(4)(x), use 43 * e2 ≈ 318.

The reasoning here is that e(1/2)x2 is an increasing function, so the maximum value on an interval is attained at the right endpoint. Presumably your graph of y = x4 + 6x2 + 3 showed that this function also is increasing. As that seems the case, the max value of f(4)(x) occurs when x = 2.

6. May 9, 2013 #5
    OK Now I understand. Thank You.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted