The maximum speed the truck can go without sliding

In summary, the question asks for the maximum speed a truck can go without a crate of eggs sliding off the back. To solve this, we use the equation Fs=F=mv2/r=μsmg, where Fs is the force of static friction, F is the centripetal force, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius. By rearranging this equation, we get v=√(μsgr). Plugging in the given values, we get a maximum speed of 14.35 m/s for the truck.
goli12

Homework Statement

A crate of eggs is located on the back of a truck. The truck rounds a circular bend in the road with radius of 35 meters. If the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the truck is 0.6, what is the maximum speed the truck can go without the crate sliding?

Homework Equations

F=mv2/r
Fs=μsn

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys, can you please check my answer for this question, I'm not entirely sure it is correct...

Firstly, I took the normal force of the truck to get n=mg, as it is not moving vertically. This results in the force of static friction (Fs) to be: Fs=μsmg.

Secondly, this static friction is providing the centripetal force of the truck to go around in a circular motion and so resulting in the following equation: Fs=F=mv2/r = μsmg.

So with algebra I made velocity the subject. The masses cancel out leaving: v2/r = μsg and so resulting in v=√(μsgr)

Now I enter the variables v=√(0.6*9.8*35), giving the velocity of 14.35ms-1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me :)

Solution looks ok, however, substitute the word 'truck' with 'crate' in your attempt.

PhanthomJay said:
Solution looks ok, however, substitute the word 'truck' with 'crate' in your attempt.

Ahh yes, my mistake many thanks :tongue:

This means that the maximum speed the truck can go without the crate sliding is 14.35 meters per second.

Your answer appears to be correct. Good job using the equations for centripetal force and static friction to solve for the maximum speed. However, it would be helpful to explain why this is the maximum speed and what would happen if the truck were to go any faster.

The maximum speed the truck can go without the crate sliding is determined by the balance between the centripetal force required to keep the truck moving in a circular motion and the force of static friction between the crate and the truck. If the truck were to go any faster, the centripetal force would exceed the maximum static friction force, causing the crate to slide. Therefore, the maximum speed calculated is the threshold for the truck to maintain circular motion without the crate sliding. Going any faster would result in the crate sliding, potentially causing damage or loss of the eggs.

1. What factors affect the maximum speed a truck can go without sliding?

The maximum speed a truck can go without sliding is affected by several factors, including the weight of the truck, the condition of the tires, the road surface, and the weather conditions.

2. How do you calculate the maximum speed a truck can go without sliding?

To calculate the maximum speed a truck can go without sliding, you need to consider the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road, as well as the weight of the truck. The formula for maximum speed is: v = √(μ * g * r), where μ is the coefficient of friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the turn.

3. Can a truck go faster without sliding on a dry road compared to a wet road?

Yes, a truck can go faster without sliding on a dry road compared to a wet road. This is because the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is higher on a dry road, providing better traction for the truck.

4. Does the type of tire affect the maximum speed a truck can go without sliding?

Yes, the type of tire can affect the maximum speed a truck can go without sliding. Tires with a higher coefficient of friction, such as winter tires, can allow the truck to go faster without sliding compared to tires with a lower coefficient of friction, such as all-season tires.

5. How can you prevent a truck from sliding at high speeds?

To prevent a truck from sliding at high speeds, it is important to maintain the tires and ensure they have sufficient tread depth. It is also important to drive at a safe speed for the road conditions and to avoid sudden braking or turning, which can cause the truck to lose traction and slide.