1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The mean value theorem for integrals and Maple

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have function f which is defined upon an interval [a,b]. I have calculated the mean value using the theorem

[itex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_{a}^b f(x) dx[/itex]

What I would like to do is to plot in Maple the mean value rectangle. Where the hight of this rectangle represents the mean value of f(x) with respect to the interval [a,b].

Is this possible in Maple? If yes anyone who would like to share the Maple command for it?

Thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean that you want to plot both f(x) and its mean = m over [a,b], just use the command
    plot([f(x),m],x=a..b);
    Whether you use f(x) or just f in the plot command depends on whether f is a function or a formula. You can also choose the plot colours, such as
    plot([f(x),m],x=a..b,color = [red,blue]); being a Canadian product, Maple also lets you say colour = ... if you prefer (which I do).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook