The molar heat of combustion for phenol

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
Taryn
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
You burn 103.4 mg of phenol in a calorimeter of heat capacity 1,483 J K-1 and the temperature rises by 1.83 oC. Determine the molar heat of combustion for phenol in kJ mol-1. The molar mass of phenol is 94.12 g mol-1

Ccal=deltaH/ deltaT

This is what I did.
n=.1034/94.12
=1.09859E-3mol

deltaH=(1483J/K*274.98K)/1.09859E-3
deltaH=371198.84kJ/mol

What did I do wrong... any help would be appreciated. thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation calls for deltaT, so that means the change in temperature.

You were given deltaT in the question. Remember that 1 degree celsius = 1 degree Kelvin, so the difference of two temperatures will be the same on either scale.
 
Hey Thanks... that's helpful... I got the answer to the answer right thanks a heap!