Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most effective advertising subterfuge

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1
    Web, TV, radio, print media, etc. - whose ads have captivated you, and which of those actually influence you to buy?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I avoid advertisements, and there is no advertisement that influences me to buy anything. I dont' watch ads on TV - I usually watch Public Broadcasting, and I generally (almost exclusively) listen to Public Radio. If I listen to commercial radio, I change channels or turn down the volume during commercials which I find rather obnoxious. I ignore advertisements in print media.

If I buy something expensive, like a car or computer, I do independent research.

My wife does most of the shopping since I have a strong aversion to shopping. If I buy something like shoes or clothes, I tend to buy inexpensive stuff that no one would advertise. :biggrin:

I generally avoid malls and heavy concentrations of shoppers. :yuck:

4. Dec 7, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't say that any commercial has ever influenced me to buy a particular product, however many commercials have convinced to avoid certain products - payback for sleazy or annoying advertising techniques.

5. Dec 7, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do really enjoy certain commercials for a few viewings. For example, I like Geiko's caveman plot.

Have you seen the latest? The caveman is getting couseling. :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  6. Dec 7, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I cannot "shop" due to a disability that leaves me crippled with respiratory problems, migraines, and hypertension when I breathe fragrance chemicals. Even before this problem arose (about 15 years ago) I never went to a store unless I needed something, and then I bought what I needed and left. I have never knowingly bought anything on the basis of an advertisement. Every advertisement is a lie, accentuating the perception that you NEED the product, and that no other product can possible do. Catch a clue, people!

7. Dec 7, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think the last commercial that tempted me to buy anything was the old Bartles and Jaymes commercials. "Thank you for your support"

8. Dec 7, 2006 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You do realize (as I hope everyone here does), that the influencing is entirely unconscious?

Companies cannot hope to sway shoppers who have carefully weighed their needs and compared products and chosen the best one based on facts. Nope.

Companies rely on the well-known fact that most purchases are made without this kind of research. Because of our busy lives, we don't have time - and frankly don't care - which brand of toilet paper we buy, we usually reach for one based on what we "know" we want.

And that is not a rational decision, it is driven largely by our background decision-making processes, which ARE subject to such influences as the correlation between a brand image and its desirability. A product that has an emotionally positive association will be likely reached for.

But simply, yet most importantly - a product that HAS an image in the shopper's mind is far more likely to be chosen. i.e. the stronger the image, the more it is chosen. Simply being in your face is a very strong motivator. nine six seven eleven eleven... the single best known jingle in marketing history.

If you think you make rational decisions about every purchase, you're fooling yourself. And that's perfectly OK with product companies, who hope you never figure this out.

9. Dec 7, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I buy what's on sale.

10. Dec 7, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: They've obviously not counted on people like me who will figure out the per sheet price on toilet paper before deciding which one to buy.

And, last time I went to buy dishwasher detergent, they had a sale on the large size...I figured out the per ounce price and realized it was STILL cheaper to buy the smaller size, even with the larger one on sale! :rolleyes: The brand was determined by trial and error (I started out with the cheapest and just moved up the prices until I got to one that rinsed off completely and actually cleaned the dishes well...I didn't expect the cheapest ones to be all that different from the more expensive ones, but apparently the cheapest of the cheap aren't that good).

Though, you're right that if someone WERE influenced by advertising subterfuge, they'd hardly be aware of it, or else it wasn't subterfuge.

11. Dec 7, 2006 #10
    When does the "soft sell" (e. g., Bartles and Jaymes) work better than the "in your face" commercials?

For the best quality with the lowest price, I use Consumer Reports, Washington Consumer Checkbook and an analytical, efficient mindset.

12. Dec 8, 2006 #11

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

One thing I have been watching over the past year or so is how theonion acquires more and more commercials disguised as semi-humorous articles. They don't say the articles are commercials, but some of them clearly are, unless they have somebody really avant-garde behind the scenes.

13. Dec 8, 2006 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

They do. They fall under the 'does research' category.

P.S. One place I absolutely refuse to price-shop is on toilet paper, despite the wife's objections. I simply tell her that she doesn't know what it's like to have my delicate artist's heiny.

14. Dec 8, 2006 #13
    I am genrally not pursuaded by advertising, but, I gotta admit, I do secretly desire that "cold heat" soldering iron that's on constantly on TV. :redface:

15. Dec 8, 2006 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The "cold heat" soldering iron is a complete rip-off -- read up on it.

I have never been persuaded (consciously) to buy anything based solely on an advertisement, but I have noticed myself somehow "liking" advertisements for products I already own, and like. For instance, I have a Canon digital camera that is exactly perfect for my needs. I find that I somehow root for Canon now when I see their advertisements.

I'm also definitely susceptible to branding. I do indeed reach for products that are more attractively packaged. I try to avoid it, but it's certainly there.

- Warren

16. Dec 8, 2006 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Four out of five dentists recommend Crest" (plus the flouride) influenced me for awhile. I imagine quite a few have at least captivated me enough to try them. Ranier Beer used to have such good commercials that I was actually a little sad to find out the beer sucked.

You turn the volume down?!! :surprised The commercials are usually better than the shows!! Well, except for that 'Head On' commercial.

I'm surprised there's any difference. In fact, a more powerful jet of water with no detergent at all would probably work best. When I washed dishes in a restaraunt, I don't think I used detergent at all. I just made sure the dishes were rinsed off well before putting them in the rack and the water in the dishwasher was incredibly hot and at least sounded pretty powerful.

Edit: Probably the cheap brands are shooting themselves in the foot by recommending the user use about 2 or 3 times as much as they need. In an article on laundry detergent, there were only two things that had a significant influence on ratings - detergents with optical brighteners (chemicals that react with UV rays) tended to be rated higher and detergents that directed using too much detergent tended to be rated lower (not all of the detergent would rinse out, leaving the clothes stiffer). Of course, with laundry detergent, instead of reducing the amount of detergent in each load, you can tell the buyers to buy fabric softener to counteract the detergent left in their clothes.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  17. Dec 8, 2006 #16
    Thanks for the tip chroot. I guess I'm not that surprised it's BS...and yet, somehow...I...still...want...one...can't...resist...urge...to...

18. Dec 8, 2006 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Colgate; "8 out of 10 dentists can't be wrong".

Hmm, 20% of dentists are wrong?

I hate adverts. Except ones for Honda cars.

19. Dec 8, 2006 #18
    Do commercials now use subliminal advertising? Is it really effective, anyway? Do you believe that unconsciously manipulative commercials are intended to be so?

What is the trashiest product promotion in memory?

20. Dec 8, 2006 #19
    Im influenced by movie commercials! I bet a lot of you are too :wink:

Honestly though, I have a DVR and extremely rarely watch commercials. I usually watch shows on a 1/3 time gap (commercials take up about this amount of the total show...), and then just skip through every commercial. I love some Geico commercials, like this one:

and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnLaDOLaj3I&mode=related&search=

Of course at work, I hear the same commercials everyday countless numbers of times. There are several cat product commercials, and a few of them include cats making noises. I can immitate every single one of the noises and all of the words. Same goes with the music they play. I can now recite quite well several Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys songs because they play that crap non stop.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  21. Dec 8, 2006 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?