The Mystery of Betty Cash's Alleged UFO Encounter

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Betty Cash claimed she was Radiation poisoned and lost her hair due to the exposure. She and her family went to the hospital and the radiologist believed they had radiation poisoning. John Schuessler of MUFON conducted an investigation and concluded it was a genuine case. Some skeptics say there are holes in the story, but overall I think it's a credible story.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One of more famous UFO cases, I have never done a fact check on this one so I don't know how credible the claims may be. But, it was in the news...

On Dec. 30, 1998, the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON), an organization dedicated to studying UFO and alien sightings, issued a news release about the death of Betty Cash. She had passed away exactly 18 years after her alleged close encounter.

...That night, Cash, Landrum and her grandson all got sick. They suffered from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, general weakness, a burning sensation in their eyes and feeling as though they had been sunburned. Over the next few days, Cash’s symptoms got worse when she developed blisters and hair loss. She was taken to the local emergency room for treatment on Jan. 3, 1981. The Landrums fared somewhat better, though both suffered from lingering weakness, skin sores and hair loss.

A radiologist who later examined their medical records believed that all three of them suffered radiation poisoning. [continued]
http://www.mcdowellnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=MMN%2FMGArticle%2FMMN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353851239&path=!news!localnews

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This has been thouroughly researched by Stanton Friedman, and he came to the conclusion that it is a geniune case. If i remember correctly, he accompanied Betty to hypnotherapy sessions, where under hypnoisis she was taken back to the experience and she gave a much more vivid account of what happened. Of course, anything obtained via hypnosis should be taken with a pinch of salt, but Stanton said there were far too many coincidences that turned out to be true in her story. Everyone who saw them said her family were not the sort of people that would be making it up.

I think that Stanton was impressed with the accuracy of a diagram she drew (under hypnosis) of a local star system near the pleiades, which she claimed she saw in a diagram on the ship. He thought this was starnge as she was not remotely interested in astronomy or space, so would not have known anything about the shape of certain star systems. There's probably better evidence than that, i'll try to find some of Stantons research when i have the time.

I think that you are mixing this up with the Betty and Barney Hill abduction story claim.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think that you are mixing this up with the Betty and Barney Hill abduction story claim.

yes i am. whoops.

This betty Cash story looks more likely than Betty Hill's account, as there is actual evidence as opposed to just a story. Plus an investigation was carried out by MUFON official John Schuessler who concluded it was a genuine case.

Reading some of the skeptics reports online, they are not convinced, but then again they never are. From what i have read from a brief search there is no point that debunks it fully, they're mainly just nit picking small issues. One of the main critisisms is that we don't know Cash's state of health prior to the incident, so she could have always been like that. I find that quite unlikely, the effects of radiation poisoning are quite unique.

This is a pretty good summary of the full story http://www.rense.com/ufo2/cash.htm

I met Betty in 1983, when she was living outside Houston, still brimming with fire and indignation over her radiation poisoning. She, a friend named Vickie Landrum, and Vickie's grandson, Colby, were confronted by a blazing, diamond-shaped object spewing off massive heat in the middle of a Texas backroad on the night of Dec. 29, 1980. When she braked and got out of the car, the thing hovered away. [continued]

[edit by Ivan: Please be sure to limit quotes to excerpts only so as to avoid copyright violations] :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Betty Cash UFO Story?

The Betty Cash UFO story is a famous alleged UFO encounter that took place on December 29, 1980, in the small town of Huffman, Texas. Betty Cash, along with her friend Vickie Landrum and her grandson Colby, claimed to have seen a diamond-shaped object emitting bright flames and hovering over the road they were driving on.

What happened during the encounter?

According to the witnesses, the object was emitting intense heat, causing their car to malfunction and eventually forcing them to stop. They also reported seeing military helicopters in pursuit of the object. After the encounter, all three witnesses experienced symptoms of radiation sickness, such as burns, nausea, and hair loss.

Has the story been investigated?

Yes, the story has been investigated by various organizations and researchers. The US Air Force conducted an investigation known as "The Cash-Landrum Incident" and concluded that the object was most likely a misidentified aircraft. However, other researchers have suggested that the object could have been a secret military experiment or even a genuine extraterrestrial craft.

Are there any photos or physical evidence of the encounter?

Unfortunately, there are no photos or physical evidence of the encounter. The witnesses did not have a camera with them at the time, and any physical evidence that may have been left behind was never documented or collected.

What is the current status of the case?

The case remains unsolved and continues to be a subject of debate among UFO researchers and enthusiasts. The witnesses have since passed away, and there has been no further evidence or information to confirm or debunk their claims. The Betty Cash UFO story remains a mystery and a popular topic in the world of UFOlogy.

Back