The net force on a moving positive charge

In summary, a moving positive charge experiences a net force when placed in both a magnetic and electric field. To determine the magnitude of this net force, the equations for the electric and magnetic forces must be used, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each field. Simply adding the two forces together is incorrect, and instead the pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions must be used to find the resultant force.
Dart82
The net force on a moving positive charge...

Homework Statement

A magnetic field has a magnitude of 1.2 x10^-3 T, and an electric field has a magnitude of 5.4 x10^3 N/C. Both fields point in the same direction. A positive 1.8 µC charge moves at a speed of 2.9x10^6 m/s in a direction that is perpendicular to both fields. Determine the magnitude of the net force that acts on the charge.

Homework Equations

Force = qE
Force = qvBsin(theta)

Electric force + Magnetic force = Net force

The Attempt at a Solution

qE + qvBsin(theta) = net force

(1.8e-6 C * 5.4e^3 N/C ) + ( 1.8e-6C * 2.9e^6m/s *1.2e^-3T*sin(90) =

.0972N + .006264N = .1035N of net force

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, the electric force has a magnitude of F1=qE and the lorenz force F2=qvBsinθ=qvB because θ=π/2.
What you`re doing wrong is the "qE + qvBsin(theta) = net force" part.
That`s only true if you right it with vectors.
You want the magnitude of the net force. Draw a diagram with the forces acting on the charge, and you`ll easily get the answer

im not sure i follow...i made a diagram of the forces acting on the charge (don't laugh):
green = magnetic field
blue = electric field
grey line = direction of velocity of + charge
black dot = + charge
[URL=http://imageshack.us][PLAIN]http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9798/magneticfieldog1.png[/URL][/PLAIN]

the way I'm seeing it is the force from the magnetic field is pointing out of the page and the force from the electric field is pointed upward. the net force would be a combination of the two, so why can't i add them like vectors?

Thats not what you did, you just added them together

turdferguson said:
Thats not what you did, you just added them together

ok to correct myself, i made a diagram of what i believe the magnetic field and the electric field to look like. i realize the force of the magnetic field will be pointing out of the screen towards me; the force of the electric field will be directed parallel along the field. does that clear things up?

Your diagram is correct, no doubt about that. The forces` direction is as you say as well.
But this
"1.8e-6 C * 5.4e^3 N/C ) + ( 1.8e-6C * 2.9e^6m/s *1.2e^-3T*sin(90) =

.0972N + .006264N = .1035N of net force"
is absolutely wrong. You can't add together the two forces because they haven't the same direction, they are perpendicular to each other ...
So what are we doing in this occasions?

JK423 said:
Your diagram is correct, no doubt about that. The forces` direction is as you say as well.
But this
"1.8e-6 C * 5.4e^3 N/C ) + ( 1.8e-6C * 2.9e^6m/s *1.2e^-3T*sin(90) =

.0972N + .006264N = .1035N of net force"
is absolutely wrong. You can't add together the two forces because they haven't the same direction, they are perpendicular to each other ...
So what are we doing in this occasions?

ok, maybe I'm wrong again here but i think i need to find the force that acts in the middle of the 2 forces, since they are perpendicular. I am sure i would use some trigonometric function to accomplish this..

"add them like vectors" with the pythagorean theorem

1. What is the net force on a moving positive charge?

The net force on a moving positive charge is the overall force acting on the charge, taking into account all of the individual forces that are acting on it.

2. How is the net force on a moving positive charge calculated?

The net force on a moving positive charge is calculated by adding together all of the individual forces acting on the charge, taking into account their magnitudes and directions.

3. What factors affect the net force on a moving positive charge?

The net force on a moving positive charge is affected by the magnitude and direction of the individual forces acting on it, as well as the charge's velocity and the medium through which it is moving.

4. Is the net force on a moving positive charge always in the same direction as its motion?

No, the net force on a moving positive charge can be in the same direction as its motion, opposite to its motion, or at an angle to its motion, depending on the individual forces acting on the charge.

5. How does the net force on a moving positive charge affect its motion?

The net force on a moving positive charge determines the acceleration of the charge, which in turn affects its velocity and therefore its motion. If the net force is in the same direction as the charge's motion, it will speed up. If the net force is opposite to the charge's motion, it will slow down. And if the net force is at an angle to the charge's motion, it will change its direction of motion.