Millennial Could be Next Einstein: Nima Pasterski

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary: I was going to say future, but really, I hope she's having success now.I think the media has a tendency to sensationalize and exaggerate certain stories, especially when it comes to science and technology. It's unfortunate, because it can lead to misinformation and unrealistic expectations. However, I do think it's important to highlight and celebrate the achievements of young scientists and researchers, as it can inspire others and bring attention to important areas of study. It's a fine line to walk, but I think it's important to try and strike a balance between accurate reporting and generating interest in science and technology.
This Millennial Might Be the New Einstein
http://news.yahoo.com/millennial-might-einstein-080000030.html?nf=1

Pasterski stands out among a growing number of newly minted physics grads in the U.S. There were 7,329 in 2013, double the four-decade low of 3,178 in 1999, according to the American Institute of Physics. Nima Arkani-Hamed, a Princeton professor and winner of the inaugural $3 million Fundamental Physics Prize, told OZY he’s heard “terrific things” about Pasterski from her adviser, Harvard professor Andrew Strominger, who is about to publish a paper with physics rock star Hawking. She’s also received hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants from the Hertz Foundation, the Smith Foundation and the National Science Foundation.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely the first Pasterski.

Likes Thewindyfan, lisab, jack476 and 1 other person
I'm thinking she might be Mileva Maric reincarnated. Back for vengeance!

From: http://news.yahoo.com/millennial-might-einstein-080000030.html?nf=1

"She says she has a handful of close friends but has never had a boyfriend, an alcoholic drink or a cigarette."

See, this is where I think I went wrong. In 1982 I was 14 years old and on the fast track to becoming the next computer whiz. But then I had an alcoholic drink, a cigarette, and found a girlfriend :confused:

Likes Thewindyfan, PietKuip and DrClaude
They should have let her remain anonymous. Now she's under pressure to do something huge.

Likes 1oldman2 and Thewindyfan
People, and the media, seem to forget that there have numerous proclamation of "the next Einstein" through the years. Yet, all of them haven't amounted to being the "next Einstein", as if we know what that means or if that is even possible anymore.

Not only is this another "cry wolf" all over again, it puts unreasonable pressure and expectation onto this poor kid!

Zz.

Likes Thewindyfan, axmls, PietKuip and 1 other person
ZapperZ said:
People, and the media, seem to forget that there have numerous proclamation of "the next Einstein" through the years. Yet, all of them haven't amounted to being the "next Einstein", as if we know what that means or if that is even possible anymore.

Not only is this another "cry wolf" all over again, it puts unreasonable pressure and expectation onto this poor kid!

I definitely agree to ZapperZ. Of course we can't tell in advance if she is the next Einstein or not, but there are boundary constraints for this, that cannot easily be crossed...

I agree with ZapperZ on this. I would also add that there is false myth floating out there of the "lone genius" who revolutionizes science through his/her sole contributions, and Einstein is often held up as an example, and I'm concerned that the news link above is feeding into that very myth. In reality, Einstein was very much actively engaged with the leading scientists of the time when developing his theories, and often made frequent use of the latest developments of mathematics (in particular works on topology and differential geometry from Poincare) in formulating his theory of relativity.

This further illustrates that science is a collective endeavour, consisting of the contributions of many scientific practitioners over a long period of time, and it's not certain what Pasterski's particular contributions will be. I do wish her all the best in whatever field of research she ultimately chooses to pursue.

Likes Thewindyfan and Silicon Waffle
I always dislike seeing articles or other sources proclaiming someone is the next Einstein/Hawking/etc or comparing them to see who is smarter.

We should celebrate the contributions made by intelligent people, small or large, not get involved in a circle jerk trying to find out who is the smartest of all.

Likes 1oldman2, Thewindyfan and epenguin
How much money did they give Einstein when he was 22? Just his pay for the crappy job he had at the patent office I think.

No prestigious teaching posts. No endowments for brilliance. Just a bureaucrat's job he got from a rich classmate.

It turns out even Einstein was no Einstein, at least in the beginning. Yet he turned out acceptable work later.

Hopefully Pasterski does as well -- or at least finds a boyfriend. :oldlove:

Isn't she Cuban? So if you decide one day to deport her, send her east to Europe.

While I agree that a direct comparison with Einstein is not the best tack for such an article, I think articles that highlight up-and-coming potential stars in science are important. We should take pride in and celebrate the achievements of our fellow scientists.

Otherwise all that you'll read about in the mass media are up and coming celebrities or sports stars. I think there needs to be more news about the achievements of PhD students than which celebrity has twerked which other celebrity recently.

Choppy said:
While I agree that a direct comparison with Einstein is not the best tack for such an article, I think articles that highlight up-and-coming potential stars in science are important. We should take pride in and celebrate the achievements of our fellow scientists.

Otherwise all that you'll read about in the mass media are up and coming celebrities or sports stars. I think there needs to be more news about the achievements of PhD students than which celebrity has twerked which other celebrity recently.
If scientists we more open about their sex lives, perhaps the media would pay more attention.

The media is attracted to drama and conflict. Perhaps if we formed scientific teams and went at it with slide rules?

Or perhaps media attention is a bad thing?

Jeff Rosenbury said:
If scientists we more open about their sex lives, perhaps the media would pay more attention.

The media is attracted to drama and conflict. Perhaps if we formed scientific teams and went at it with slide rules?

Or perhaps media attention is a bad thing?
IMO media attention is just a bad thing. No matter what you do, unless you shut them up completely they'll always dramatize some story, no matter how dull, banal the story itself actually is. That's how they make their money.

OT, this girl sounds awesome! I wish her much success in the future.

Are you boys talking about me again...?

nu_thien_tai_vat_ly_tre_ap_u_kham_pha_bi_mat_cua_vu_tru_2__zuvy.jpg

Likes xAxis
DiracPool said:
Are you boys talking about me again...?

nu_thien_tai_vat_ly_tre_ap_u_kham_pha_bi_mat_cua_vu_tru_2__zuvy.jpg
Oh my goodness. -gets down on one knee and presents a ring-
M%C3%B6biusWeddingBand.JPG

Boolean Boogey said:
Oh my goodness. -gets down on one knee and presents a ring-

A Mobius wedding ring, nice touch...:wink:

DiracPool said:
A Mobius wedding ring, nice touch...:wink:

The only long term relationship I have been in was started by me writing out an equation explaining to her as to why I was the best choice. :cool:

1. Who is Nima Pasterski and why is she being called the "Millennial Einstein"?

Nima Pasterski is a young physicist who has gained attention for her groundbreaking research in quantum gravity and black holes. She has been compared to Albert Einstein for her exceptional intellect and potential to make significant contributions to the field of physics.

2. What has Nima Pasterski accomplished so far in her career?

At just 27 years old, Nima Pasterski has already published several papers on her research in quantum gravity and black holes. She has also been awarded multiple prestigious scholarships and fellowships, including a $250,000 Hertz Fellowship and a $150,000 National Science Foundation Fellowship.

3. How did Nima Pasterski become interested in physics?

Nima Pasterski has been fascinated by physics since she was a child. She credits her father, who is an engineer, for sparking her interest in the subject. She also attended MIT's prestigious physics program, where she has been mentored by some of the top physicists in the world.

4. What makes Nima Pasterski's research unique and important?

Nima Pasterski's research focuses on understanding the fundamental laws that govern the universe, specifically in the areas of quantum gravity and black holes. Her work has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and could lead to groundbreaking discoveries in the future.

5. What are Nima Pasterski's future plans and goals?

Nima Pasterski plans to continue her research in quantum gravity and black holes, with the ultimate goal of developing a theory of everything that unifies quantum mechanics and general relativity. She also hopes to inspire more young people, especially girls, to pursue careers in physics and other STEM fields.

Back