1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The normal approximation to the binomial

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've attached the question

2. Relevant equations
    Pr(X<=x)= (x + 0.5 - n*p) / sqrt(n*p*(1-p))

3. The attempt at a solution
    okay so n=1150, p=0.02 , Pr(X<23)

=23 + 0.5 - 1150(0.02) / sqrt(1150*0.02*0.98)
    =0.105316

is that bit right so far. Because it is less than i thought x might've been 22 instead of 23 so when i did that it equaled -0.105316

im not sure what do after that. Am i suppose to find that value in the normal distribution tables or something?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your first equation makes no sense. Perhaps you meant to write
    [tex]P(X \leq x) \approx P\left( Z \leq \frac{x + 1/2 - n p)}{\sqrt{n p (1-p)}} \right)? [/tex]
    For n = 1150, p = 0.02 and x = 23, we have [itex] P(Z \leq 0.105316),[/itex] which is similar to what you said---although I am not sure, from what you wrote, that you really understand this. Of course, the question said "less than 23", which means <= 22, so you ought to use x = 22 in the formula. At this point you need to find the probability value from normal tables, or a spreadsheet, or by pressing a button on some brands of hand-held calculators.

RGV

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook