1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Distribution for a person walking in straight line

1. Dec 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can I measure the probability of a person being at a certain end location after n steps using the binomial distribution if,
    probability student goes x=x+3 is 0 <= p <0.5 , x=x-1 is 0<= 0.5 p <1.

2. Relevant equations
    x=x+3 is 0 <= p <0.5
    x=x-1 is 0<= 0.5 p <1
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I can do this for x=x+1 0<=p<0.5 and x=x-1 0.5<=p<1
    And I know it doesn't work if it's position based, so for example at x=10, the probabilities changed.
    But, can I do it if they move a larger distance in one direction than the other such as the example I have posted?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you meant to say that the moves are ##x \to x+3## w.p. ##p## and ##x \to x-1## w.p. ##q = 1-p##; here ##0 < p < 1/2##. (The case ##p=0## should be excluded, because it is trivial---there is no randomness at all.)

After ##n## steps, if the student takes ##k## steps to the right and ##(n-k)## steps to the left, how far to the right has he/she moved? (Of course, a negative distance to the right is a positive distance to the left.)

I did not understand at all the rest of your post, where you talk about x = 10 and larger distances, etc.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. Dec 11, 2014 #3
    Can I say that probability for any given end point x, the probability of ending up there is :
    probability = {factorial(n)/(factorial((n+(x+3))/2)*factorial((n-(x-1))/2))}*{p^(1/2(n+(x+3)) * q^(1/2(n+(x-1)))}
    Where p = probability of moving x+3 and q = 1-p

5. Dec 11, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is not what I get. Just solve for ##k## in terms of ##x## and substitute that into the binomial expression, but do it carefully. (Of course, I assume the starting point is ##x = 0##).

BTW: it is normal in probability to use shorthand notation for binomial coefficients: instead of
    [tex] \frac{a!}{b! (a-b)!} [/tex]
    we usually write
    [tex] \binom{a}{b} \;\;\rm{or} \;\; C(a,b) \;\; \rm{or} \;\; {}_aC_b [/tex]
    Of course, when we actually want to compute the binomial coefficient, we fall back on the original formula in terms of factorials. However, do what makes you most comfortable; I am just offering advice that you can take or leave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted