Solve nth Derivative of cos ax with Respect to a

• Thread starter vin-math
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discussed how to prove the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a is a^ncos (ax+ na/2) and different methods were suggested, including using mathematical induction and basic trigonometry identities. The final answer was derived by applying these methods and taking the limit as h approaches 0. There was also a clarification about the derivative being with respect to x, not a.
vin-math
The nth derivative...

I don't know how to proof the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a is a^ncos (ax+ na/2). Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it isn't. Where's your pi?

ooops, i type wrongly. it should be "proof the nth derivative of cos (pi)x with respect to a is (pi)^ncos [(pi)x+ n(pi)/2)]"
actually i don't know hot to type the notation of pi here, so i replace the pi with a

vin-math said:
ooops, i type wrongly. it should be "proof the nth derivative of cos (pi)x with respect to a is (pi)^ncos [(pi)x+ n(pi)/2)]"
actually i don't know hot to type the notation of pi here, so i replace the pi with a

I think you could prove this by induction, show it's true for n=1, assume it's true for n=k then show that it being true for n=k implies it being true for n=k+1.

d_leet said:
I think you could prove this by induction, show it's true for n=1, assume it's true for n=k then show that it being true for n=k implies it being true for n=k+1.

But can i just calculate the final answer (the nth derivative), apart from using the mathematical induction?

You might want to keep in mind that
[tex]cos(x+ \frac{n\pi}{2})[/tex]
is equal to
[tex](-1)^{\frac{n}{2}}cos(x)[/tex]
if n is even,
[tex](-1)^{\frac{n-1}{2}}sin(x)[/tex]
if n is odd.

vin-math said:
But can i just calculate the final answer (the nth derivative), apart from using the mathematical induction?

What do you mean? The way you stated the problem was that you didn't know how to prove it, and it seems that the best way to prove this would be to use mathematical induction and HallsofIvy's suggestion.

HallsofIvy said:
You might want to keep in mind that
[tex]cos(x+ \frac{n\pi}{2})[/tex]
is equal to
[tex](-1)^{\frac{n}{2}}cos(x)[/tex]
if n is even,
[tex](-1)^{\frac{n-1}{2}}sin(x)[/tex]
if n is odd.

thx!
I think i now hv some idea in solve the Q.:smile:

d_leet said:
What do you mean? The way you stated the problem was that you didn't know how to prove it, and it seems that the best way to prove this would be to use mathematical induction and HallsofIvy's suggestion.

I mean that like proofing identities, we will proof the L.H.S equal to the R.H.S. I want to do the same thing in this Q.

vin-math said:
I mean that like proofing identities, we will proof the L.H.S equal to the R.H.S. I want to do the same thing in this Q.

And how do you expect to do this? I don't really think that you can do something like that in this situation, and so I will again recommend that you try to prove this using mathematical induction, it really doesn't seem like it would be that hard or long of a proof given the suggestion that HallsofIvy gave you.

vin-math said:
I don't know how to proof the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a is a^ncos (ax+ na/2). Can anyone help me?
I pressume the result you intend is something like
(0)
[tex]( \frac{\d}{\d x} )^n \cos(a x+b)=a^n \cos(a x+b+n \frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]
use the following basic results
(1) An obvious trigonometry identity
[tex]
\frac{\Delta}{\Delta x} \cos(a x+b)=a \cos(a x+b+a \frac{h}{2}+\frac{\pi}{2})\frac{\sin(h/2)}{h/2}[/tex]
(2) Continuity of cosine
[tex]\lim_{h->0}(\cos(x+h)-\cos(x))=0[/tex]
(3) sin(x)~x x small
[tex]\lim_{h->0}\frac{\sin(h)}{h}=1[/tex]
(4) apply (1) n times
[tex]
(\frac{\Delta}{\Delta x})^n \cos(a x+b)=a \cos(a x+b+a n \frac{h}{2}+n \frac{\pi}{2})(\frac{\sin(h/2)}{h/2})^n[/tex]
(5) passage to the limit (h->0) of (4) using (2) and (3) give the desired result
[tex]( \frac{\d}{\d x} )^n \cos(a x+b)=a^n \cos(a x+b+n \frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

Last edited:
By the way, you keep saying "the derivative with respect to a". If that's what you really mean, then the answer you give is NOT correct. But everyone has been assuming that you meant "with respect to x" anyway.

HallsofIvy said:
By the way, you keep saying "the derivative with respect to a". If that's what you really mean, then the answer you give is NOT correct. But everyone has been assuming that you meant "with respect to x" anyway.

Yes, u are right:redface:

vin-math said:
I pressume the result you intend is something like
(0)
[tex]( \frac{d}{dx} )^n \cos(a x+b)=a^n \cos(a x+b+n \frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]
use the following basic results
(1) An obvious trigonometry identity
[tex]
\frac{\Delta}{\Delta x} \cos(a x+b)=a \cos(a x+b+a \frac{h}{2}+\frac{\pi}{2})\frac{\sin(a h/2)}{a h/2}[/tex]
(2) Continuity of cosine
[tex]\lim_{h->0}(\cos(x+h)-\cos(x))=0[/tex]
(3) sin(x)~x x small
[tex]\lim_{h->0}\frac{\sin(h)}{h}=1[/tex]
(4) apply (1) n times
[tex]
(\frac{\Delta}{\Delta x} )^n \cos(a x+b)=a^n \cos(a x+b+a n \frac{h}{2}+n \frac{\pi}{2})(\frac{\sin(a h/2)}{a h/2})^n[/tex]
(5) passage to the limit (h->0) of (4) using (2) and (3) give the desired result
[tex]( \frac{d}{dx} )^n \cos(a x+b)=a^n \cos(a x+b+n \frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

FAQ: Solve nth Derivative of cos ax with Respect to a

What is the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a?

The nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a is given by (-a)^n*cos ax.

What is the process for solving the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a?

To solve the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a, you can use the power rule and the chain rule. First, take the nth derivative of cos ax using the power rule. Then, use the chain rule to differentiate the inside function, ax, with respect to a. Finally, multiply the two derivatives together to get the final result.

Can the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a ever be negative?

Yes, the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a can be negative. This is because the negative sign in front of a in the derivative formula (-a)^n*cos ax can result in a negative value depending on the value of n.

Is there a general formula for finding the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a?

Yes, the general formula for finding the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a is (-a)^n*cos ax. This formula can be used for any value of n, making it a versatile tool for solving for the nth derivative.

What are some real-life applications of solving the nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a?

The nth derivative of cos ax with respect to a has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of oscillatory systems. It can also be used in signal processing and electronic circuit analysis. Additionally, the formula can be applied in economics and finance to model cyclical patterns.