The periodic time of an elastic string's oscillation

In summary: If the string becomes slack, then the equation won't hold and you'll need to find another equation that will describe the motion.
patric44
Homework Statement
a string with length "a" attached to a point and has a mass "m " attached to it , the elasticity of the string λ = the weight of that mass . if the mass is pulled downwards such that the string length becomes 4 times it original length . and its left to oscillate .
prove that mass will return back to that point of pulling for the first time after a time = √ (a/g)*(2√ 3 + 4π/3 )
Relevant Equations
prove that t = √ (a/g)*(2√ 3 + 4π/3 )
λ =mg
i guess he is asking for the periodic time :
$$Tension = \frac {λ*y}{a} $$
$$
\lambda= mg
$$
$$y =3a$$
$$T = 3mg$$
$$F = T-mg\Longrightarrow F = 3mg-mg = 2mg$$
$$m{y}''=2mg$$
$$y'' = 2g \therefore\frac { dy'}{dt} = 2g \Longrightarrow y' = 2gt+c1$$ by applying the boundary conditions and integrating
$$y = gt^2 -3a $$
$$ t^2=\frac{y-3a}{g}⇒ t =√(\frac{a}{g})√(\frac{y}{a} +3) $$
i am stuck here what should i do next
is this the right approach to solve it ?

i will appreciate any help
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
patric44 said:
$$T = 3mg$$
This is true only at the instant where ##y=3a##.
$$F = T-mg\Longrightarrow F = 3mg-mg = 2mg$$
$$m{y}''=2mg$$
This is true only when ##y = 3a##.
You will need expressions for ##F## and ##y''## that hold for any positive value of ##y##. Does ##y## ever go negative?

TSny said:
This is true only at the instant where ##y=3a##.
This is true only when ##y = 3a##.
You will need expressions for ##F## and ##y''## that hold for any positive value of ##y##. Does ##y## ever go negative?
So I should work this with y as a variable, bud this led me to some very lengthy calculations :
Screenshot_2020-03-25-20-16-05.jpg

Screenshot_2020-03-25-20-11-49.jpg

I won't be able to easily quote particular parts of your work since it is posted as a picture.

Be careful with signs. Your diagram shows that you are taking positive ##y## downward. That's fine. But then, the weight of the mass ##mg## would be a positive force while the tension would be negative. So, your signs don't look right when you wrote ##F = T - mg##.

For a mass hanging on a spring or elastic string, it is often a good idea to introduce a variable that measures the displacement of the mass from the equilibrium position (where the mass would hang at rest). You should find that you get a familiar differential equation that will yield a familiar type of motion (as long as the string doesn't go slack).

TSny said:
I won't be able to easily quote particular parts of your work since it is posted as a picture.

Be careful with signs. Your diagram shows that you are taking positive ##y## downward. That's fine. But then, the weight of the mass ##mg## would be a positive force while the tension would be negative. So, your signs don't look right when you wrote ##F = T - mg##.

For a mass hanging on a spring or elastic string, it is often a good idea to introduce a variable that measures the displacement of the mass from the equilibrium position (where the mass would hang at rest). You should find that you get a familiar differential equation that will yield a familiar type of motion (as long as the string doesn't go slack).
so you are suggesting that the differential equation would be :
$$ my''=mg-\frac{λ}{a}y ⇒y''=g-\frac{g}{a}y $$
is that the right differential equation to solve ?
i tried to solve it using online calculator to save some time :
$$ y′′(t)+\frac{g}{a}y(t)=g , y(0)=3a , y′(0)=0 $$
the answer was ?! :
difff equat.png

what am i doing wrong ?

patric44 said:
so you are suggesting that the differential equation would be :
$$ my''=mg-\frac{λ}{a}y ⇒y''=g-\frac{g}{a}y $$
is that the right differential equation to solve ?
i tried to solve it using online calculator to save some time :
$$ y′′(t)+\frac{g}{a}y(t)=g , y(0)=3a , y′(0)=0 $$
the answer was ?! :
View attachment 259376
what am i doing wrong ?
How else might you write eiy?

haruspex said:
How else might you write eiy?
i could write this as :
after expressing this in euler's form and canceling the sin :
$$ y(t) = a+2\cos( {\sqrt{\frac{g}{a}}t}) $$
so
$$ t = \sqrt{\frac{a}{g}}\cos^{-1} ({\frac{y-a}{2}})$$
how would i get the periodic time as :
$$ t = \sqrt{\frac{a}{g}}*(2√ 3 + 4π/3 ) $$

patric44 said:
i could write this as :
after expressing this in euler's form and canceling the sin :
$$ y(t) = a+2\cos( {\sqrt{\frac{g}{a}}t}) $$
Close. Check to see if this equation is dimensionally correct.

how would i get the periodic time as :
$$ t = \sqrt{\frac{a}{g}}*(2√ 3 + 4π/3 ) $$
You need to consider the possibility that the string becomes slack.

TSny said:
Close. Check to see if this equation is dimensionally correct.

You need to consider the possibility that the string becomes slack.
its not clear to me how its not dimensionally correct , inst the cos term has no units and a has a unit of length
same as y ?
- what you mean by slack ? and how should it effect my approach for solving the problem ?

patric44 said:
its not clear to me how its not dimensionally correct , inst the cos term has no units and a has a unit of length
same as y ?
Consider ##a + 2\cos(\sqrt{\frac{g}{a}}t)##

You are adding two terms. The first term is ##a## and has the dimensions of length. The second term is ##2\cos(\sqrt{\frac{g}{a}}t)## and is dimensionless. You can't add two terms of different dimensions.

- what you mean by slack? and how should it effect my approach for solving the problem ?
Try to picture what's going on. After releasing the mass, the mass will move upward. If it moves far enough upward, the string will become "loose" ("slack"). While the string is slack, it does not exert a force on the mass.

Some things for you to consider:

(1) For what value of ##y## does the string first become slack?

(2) While the string is slack, what force or forces act on the mass?

(3) How would you describe the motion of the mass while the string is slack?

What is the periodic time of an elastic string's oscillation?

The periodic time of an elastic string's oscillation refers to the amount of time it takes for the string to complete one full cycle of oscillation, returning to its original position and velocity.

How is the periodic time of an elastic string's oscillation calculated?

The periodic time can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the periodic time, m is the mass of the object attached to the string, and k is the string's spring constant.

Does the length of the string affect the periodic time of oscillation?

Yes, the length of the string does affect the periodic time. According to the formula, the periodic time is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the string. This means that a longer string will have a longer periodic time.

What factors affect the periodic time of an elastic string's oscillation?

The periodic time of an elastic string's oscillation is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the string, the length of the string, and the string's spring constant. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact.

Why is the periodic time of an elastic string's oscillation important?

The periodic time of an elastic string's oscillation is important because it is a fundamental characteristic of the system and can be used to calculate other important quantities, such as frequency and amplitude. It also helps us understand the behavior of elastic materials and their applications in various fields, such as engineering and physics.