1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The physical meaning of electric potential

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    I read that : An electric potential (also called the electric field potential or the electrostatic potential) is the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point inside the field without producing any acceleration. Typically, the reference point is Earth or a point at Infinity. I dont inderstand two things :" the reference is from infinity " ? and "without producing acceleration" ? please somewone to help me to understand this.
    Thank you all .

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Imagine the reference is 1 light year away, a specific amount of work would be required. Now change the reference to 2 light years away, the field is very weak, so the additional work is very small. Now change to 3 light years away, the additional work is even smaller. This series happens to have a finite limit as the distance goes to infinity, which gives the voltage referenced to infinity.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  4. Jun 9, 2017 #3
    thank you for this explanations, so its for this that : the electric potential between two charges Qa and Qb is defined that is the path integral from infinity to B of Qa/(4 π ε0 r)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted