Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The pillow ecosystem

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051015093046.htm

I couldn't spot a source, but CNN reported that one study of 15 year old pillow found that it was 80% dust mite, by weight.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

That's it, I'm sleeping on the floor! :grumpy:

4. Oct 15, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

They should do the analysis of the sock ecosystem :biggrin:

5. Oct 15, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm confused about what source they are referencing. I'm sitting here looking at the journal Allergy, where the article says this work was published. In the online publications (the ones published ahead of the print version), there is an article with A. Woodcock as an author, but it's not about pillows:
    High-efficiency vacuum cleaners increase personal mite allergen exposure, but only slightly
    R. B. Gore, B. Durrell, S. Bishop, L. Curbishley, A. Woodcock, A. Custovic

Online publication date: 15-Sep-2005
    doi: 10.1111/j.1398-9995.2005.00946.x

Then, in the November 2005 issue (the most recent print issue), there's one about Aspergillis, and the October 2005 issue has an article about dust mites, but neither has Woodcock as even a co-author, let alone head of the study, and neither seems related to the topic at hand.

The only thing I can find on this issue that has Woodcock as an author is a 2003 article in the New England Journal of Medicine, not Allergy.

NEJM 349 (3):225-236; 2003 Control of Exposure to Mite Allergen and Allergen-Impermeable Bed Covers for Adults with Asthma
    Ashley Woodcock, M.D., Louise Forster, Ph.D., Edward Matthews, B.A., Jeannett Martin, M.A., Louise Letley, R.G.N., Madge Vickers, Ph.D., John Britton, M.D., David Strachan, M.D., Peter Howarth, M.D., Daniel Altmann, D.Phil.

So, I have no idea what publication they refer to.

6. Oct 15, 2005 #5

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another online reference that originates from University of Manchester UK, has same text as Ivan Seeking's.

How about washing the pillows? If you put bleach (sodium hypochlorate) in the wash, it would kill the fungi. I imagine the dust mites wouldn't like it much either.. Personally I would toss the pillow and buy new ones every couple years.:smile:

Here is a related article Ashley Woodcock coauthored in Allergy. Perhaps the one they referenced has not made it online yet.
    webref

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  7. Oct 16, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to buy those special bags to zip up my pillows in, but they weren't very comfortable. Now I just buy new pillows every year or so. I'm very, very allergic to dust mite poop and any kind of mold. My allergies are so bad sometimes they are like asthma attacks.

8. Oct 16, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's generally my solution. After a few years, they lose all their fluffiness anyway.

Except the press release said it was released "today" and the article is dated Oct 14. That's why I checked both the online ahead of print articles (those are the ones that have been accepted for future issues) along with both the November issue listed as the most recent issue and the October issue in case they were going by the date on the issue. I'm wondering if they've gotten the facts mixed up regarding what Woodcock found in the recent article vs their earlier findings.

9. Oct 16, 2005 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Am I glad I have special mite-proof pillow cases and bed/matress covers.. they are also very comfortable, why didn't you like yours MIH?

10. Oct 16, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ack, I'm buying new pillows and covers. :surprised

11. Oct 16, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder how the pillow ecosystem of droolers differs from that of non-droolers.

12. Oct 16, 2005 #11
    Speaking of such a statistic, I read that 0.01% of a human's body mass is made up of parasites. :approve:
    Imagine over one and a half pounds of parasite goodness!

13. Oct 16, 2005 #12

Evo

I'm a drooler. :cry:

14. Oct 16, 2005 #13
    You haven't seen the recent research on the carpet biosphere then?

15. Oct 16, 2005 #14

Evo

Here it is. :frown:

Attached Files:

16. Oct 16, 2005 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I probably didn't get a good brand. They were too plasticky and crinkly even under the pillow case. Maybe there are better ones available now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?