Power spectrum of Poisson noise with λ=2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
arcTomato
Messages
104
Reaction score
27
TL;DR
Poisson noise
Dear all.
I have made the power spectrum of Poisson noise(expected value ##λ=2##), and it becomes like this
1575036752663.png

I think this is not good. I don't know why the power is so high when Random variable(x axis) is 0.
I tried another expected value version ,but the result didn't change.
so I would like to know the correct shape of the power spectrum of Poisson noise.
If you can help me, please🙇‍♂️
Thank you.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a huge DC offset in your data.
It needs to average close to zero to eliminate the zero frequency power.
 
Thank you @Baluncore!
If you don't mind, Could you teach me why does it happen? or show me some links?
 
You use auto-scale, so the huge DC offset attenuated the data.
I do not know the structure of your input data. I expect it is randomly located positive pulses?

You should increase the number of points and the number of pulses to get better detail.
You might plot several on the same graph to see any repeated pattern.
You might accumulate the power spectrum to average out the structure of the spectrum.

Google “shot noise spectrum”.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: arcTomato
If you use an FFT to compute the spectrum you should have 2integer input data cells to get the optimum speed of computation. I would start with 1024 points, giving 512 frequencies.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: arcTomato