The Principle of Linear Superposition and Young's Double-Slit Experiment

In summary, the angle that locates the places where destructive interference occurs is the smallest angle that is less than the 90 degree angle between the reference line and the line between the speakers.
BoogieL80
I'm having problems with the following problem:

A rock concert is being held in an open field. Two loudspeakers are separated by 9.00 m. As an aid in arranging the seating, a test is conducted in which both speakers vibrate in phase and produce an 80.0 Hz bass tone simultaneously. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. A reference line is marked out in front of the speakers, perpendicular to the midpoint of the line between the speakers. Relative to either side of this reference line, what is the smallest angle that locates the places where destructive interference occurs? People seated in these places would have trouble hearing the 80.0 Hz bass tone.

The only thing I can figure out is that somehow, using trigonometry and the formula sin * theta = (m + 1/2 ) * wavelength/ distance I'm suppose to get my answer. But I'm a little confused how the frequency plays a role? I tried assuming that it was maybe my M value, but that didn't work. I thought that maybe it was suppose to be the "lengths" of the triangles, but that didn't work. I tried solving for m when sin * theta = 0, but that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
BoogieL80 said:
I'm having problems with the following problem:

A rock concert is being held in an open field. Two loudspeakers are separated by 9.00 m. As an aid in arranging the seating, a test is conducted in which both speakers vibrate in phase and produce an 80.0 Hz bass tone simultaneously. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. A reference line is marked out in front of the speakers, perpendicular to the midpoint of the line between the speakers. Relative to either side of this reference line, what is the smallest angle that locates the places where destructive interference occurs? People seated in these places would have trouble hearing the 80.0 Hz bass tone.

The only thing I can figure out is that somehow, using trigonometry and the formula sin * theta = (m + 1/2 ) * wavelength/ distance I'm suppose to get my answer. But I'm a little confused how the frequency plays a role? I tried assuming that it was maybe my M value, but that didn't work. I thought that maybe it was suppose to be the "lengths" of the triangles, but that didn't work. I tried solving for m when sin * theta = 0, but that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Remember that [itex] \lambda f = v [/itex]. using the frequency and the speed of sound gives you the wavelength.

Patrick

Thank you. I feel like such an idiot now...

1. What is the principle of linear superposition?

The principle of linear superposition states that when two or more waves meet, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. In other words, the displacement of the medium at any point is equal to the sum of the displacements caused by each individual wave at that point.

2. How does the principle of linear superposition apply to Young's double-slit experiment?

In Young's double-slit experiment, a single light source is split into two coherent waves that pass through two parallel slits and interfere with each other. According to the principle of linear superposition, the resulting interference pattern is the sum of the individual wave patterns from each slit.

3. What is the significance of Young's double-slit experiment?

Young's double-slit experiment is significant because it provided evidence for the wave nature of light and supported the principle of linear superposition. It also paved the way for the development of the wave theory of light and contributed to our understanding of diffraction and interference.

4. How does the wavelength of light affect the interference pattern in Young's double-slit experiment?

The wavelength of light is directly related to the spacing of the interference pattern in Young's double-slit experiment. A shorter wavelength results in a smaller spacing between the bright and dark fringes, while a longer wavelength results in a larger spacing. This is because the wavelength determines the distance between peaks and troughs of the individual waves, which affects their interference.

5. Can the principle of linear superposition be applied to other phenomena besides light waves?

Yes, the principle of linear superposition can be applied to any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and quantum waves. It is a fundamental concept in the study of wave mechanics and is essential in understanding the behavior and interactions of waves in various systems.