The pumping current of the semiconductor lasers

In summary, the question being posed is whether the pumping current of semiconductor lasers, specifically DFB laser and FP-LD, can be negative for a very small time (0.05ns) and if it can be modulated with an A.C. component that is three times the D.C. component. The individual asking the question is not familiar with the experiment and is seeking a discussion on the matter.
galq
Hi all,

I have a question and ask for a discussion. Can the pumping current of the semiconductor lasers such as DFB laser and FP-LD, be smaller than zero?

Best Regards,
Jason.galq

Engineering news on Phys.org
galq said:
Hi all,

I have a question and ask for a discussion. Can the pumping current of the semiconductor lasers such as DFB laser and FP-LD, be smaller than zero?

Best Regards,
Jason.galq

Welcome to the PF.

What do you mean? By less than zero you mean negative? Do you have some reference links you can post to help us understand your question?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I mean negative pumping, but within a very small time (0.05ns). Acturally i am doing some numerical modelling and playing the rate equations. The pumping is a source term in the equation. And if we modulate the bias current, which is I_total = I0 + Delta_I * sin(2.0*pi *fm *t), where I0 is the DC part and Delta_I is the A.C. part, fm is the modulation frequency. If fm is very large (20 GHz), can the Delta_I be 3 times the I0 ? I am not familiar with the experiment at all, thus I post this question here for discussion.

1. What is the pumping current in a semiconductor laser?

The pumping current in a semiconductor laser is the electrical current that is supplied to the device in order to stimulate the emission of light. This current is responsible for creating the population inversion necessary for laser operation.

2. How does the pumping current affect the performance of a semiconductor laser?

The pumping current directly affects the output power and efficiency of a semiconductor laser. Too little or too much current can result in a decrease in performance, while the optimal current level can maximize the laser's output.

3. What is the relationship between the pumping current and the threshold current in a semiconductor laser?

The threshold current is the minimum amount of pumping current required to achieve lasing. As the pumping current increases, the threshold current also increases, eventually reaching a point where the laser output power saturates and further increases in current do not result in a significant increase in output.

4. How does temperature affect the pumping current in a semiconductor laser?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the pumping current of a semiconductor laser. As the temperature increases, the threshold current may increase, making it more difficult to achieve lasing. Additionally, high temperatures can cause the pumping current to fluctuate, resulting in inconsistent laser performance.

5. Can the pumping current of a semiconductor laser be controlled?

Yes, the pumping current can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or current applied to the device. This allows for fine-tuning of the laser's output and performance. Additionally, some lasers have built-in feedback mechanisms that automatically adjust the pumping current to maintain optimal performance.