1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Quantum Challenge by George Greenstein

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    Well, I bought this book about two months ago, and finally got around to reading past the first chapter or so. All I can say is, WOW. It's bloody brilliant!

It actually gives you some examples and application, and then shows you the mathematics and mechanics behind it (i.e. the Schrödinger Equation isn't just thrown at you, Greenstein et. al. explain why mechanics work and then give you the equation). It's very well laid out. It does require some prerequisite of knowledge, or a serious dedication to self-study, regarding some of the concepts, but it's very well put together.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Mine too. It looks very useful.
  5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

I've had it for a couple of years, and like it a lot. It's not a normal QM textbook that focuses on the mathematical formalism, how to solve the Schrödinger equation, etc. Instead, it focuses on all the "fun stuff" that people here like to argue about endlessly: photons, Bell's Theorem, Schrödinger's Cat, etc.

I think the people who can best take advantage of it would have had at least a brief introduction to the basics and formalism of QM. I'd love to use it as a textbook for a course on those topics that has our intro modern physics course as prerequisite. When I get a hole in my schedule, and can round up some students for it...
  6. Oct 29, 2008 #5
    Nice, if/when you get around to that, let me know, I'll be more than happy to help with anything.

And yeah, some of the stuff does require a somewhat basic knowledge in QM or someone else who can help guide you, but it's the best book I've seen so far in not taking a strictly mathematical approach to QM (which helps, because I hadn't previously taken Linear Algebra or Partial Differentials, and have taught myself them using MIT Open Courseware, so I obviously like anything in QM that takes a less mathematical approach).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?