The question is: What are the limits for theta and is the working correct?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Saitama
Messages
4,244
Reaction score
93

Homework Statement


(see attachment)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Consider the system at time t (see attachment, I am representing the blocks as point masses)
The component of acceleration along the string is ##a_0\cos \theta##. This is the acceleration of the other two blocks at the sides. The component of acceleration along the horizontal direction is ##a_0 \sin \theta \cos \theta##.
[tex]v\frac{dv}{dx}=a_0 \sin \theta \cos \theta[/tex]
As ##x=l\sin \theta##, ##dx=l\cos \theta d\theta##
[tex]vdv=a_0 \sin \theta \cos^2 \theta d\theta[/tex]
The problem is, what should be the limits for ##\theta##? And is my working even correct?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • blocks1.jpg
    blocks1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 412
  • blocks2.png
    blocks2.png
    14 KB · Views: 464
  • blocks3.png
    blocks3.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
I would consider this in the frame of block B. You get a very common physical setup, which can be solved without differential equations.

The limits for θ are given by the initial layout and the final one (collision).
 
mfb said:
I would consider this in the frame of block B. You get a very common physical setup, which can be solved without differential equations.

So there will be pseudo force acting on the other two blocks? But then how would I calculate the acceleration in the horizontal direction?

mfb said:
The limits for θ are given by the initial layout and the final one (collision).
Are the limits 0 to pi/2?
 
Pranav-Arora said:
So there will be pseudo force acting on the other two blocks? But then how would I calculate the acceleration in the horizontal direction?
Once you see the analogy, it is easy ;). You can even treat it as real force...

Are the limits 0 to pi/2?
Sure.
 
mfb said:
Once you see the analogy, it is easy ;). You can even treat it as real force...

Sorry, I am still lost on this one. :frown:

mfb said:
Sure.

But that doesn't give me the right answer. I had the following expression:
[tex]\int_{0}^v vdv=\int_{0}^{\pi/2} a_0 \ell \sin \theta \cos^2 \theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\frac{v^2}{2}=\frac{a_0 \ell}{3}[/tex]
This is incorrect as per the answer key. :confused:
 
Pranav-Arora said:
Sorry, I am still lost on this one. :frown:
Both blocks will feel a fictious force of m*a0 "downwards" acting on them.
Just consider that as real force, and you get a
pendulum in a gravitational field.
 
mfb said:
Both blocks will feel a fictious force of m*a0 "downwards" acting on them.
Just consider that as real force, and you get a
pendulum in a gravitational field.

How is that a pendulum in a "gravitational field" when the motion takes horizontally? :confused:

And why does my DE gives the wrong answer? :(
 
The motion is the same as if the setup would be in a gravitational field (with gravity acting "sidewards"). It is not in a relevant real gravitational field, of course.

And why does my DE gives the wrong answer? :(
I don't know. What is v (in which frame)? Why did you introduce x?

The question asks to find the relative velocity of A and C, while you just calculated the velocity of A (or C). That factor of 3 should not appear, however.
 
mfb said:
The motion is the same as if the setup would be in a gravitational field (with gravity acting "sidewards"). It is not in a relevant real gravitational field, of course.

Ah yes, I get your point. It turns out to be same as if the motion takes place in gravity.
[tex]ma_0\ell=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 \Rightarrow v=\sqrt{2a_0 \ell}[/tex]
Hence the relative velocity before striking is ##2\sqrt{2a_0 \ell}##

Thank you mfb! :smile:

mfb said:
I don't know. What is v (in which frame)?
v is in inertial frame.

mfb said:
Why did you introduce x?
Acceleration is vdv/dx so I had to introduce x and express it in terms of ##\theta##.
 
Pranav-Arora said:
v is in inertial frame.
That is complicated. In particular, you don't get the relative velocity with that, and "v" as integration limit does not make sense (it is a vector).

Anyway, treating it like a pendulum is way easier.