1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Rayleigh-Plesset Equation for Sonoluminescence

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    I'm investigating the phenomenon of sonoluminescence. A quick search has yielded the Rayleigh-Plesset equation as being of use.
    [tex]\frac{P_B(t)-P_\infty(t)}{\rho_L}=R\frac{d^2R}{dt^2}+\frac{3}{2}\left( \frac{dR}{dt}\right)^2+\frac{4\nu_L}{R}\frac{dR}{dt}+\frac{2S}{\rho_LR}[/tex]

A brief look on the wikipedia entry on sonoluminescence yields an approximate form.
    [tex]R\frac{d^2R}{dt^2} + \frac{3}{2}\left( \frac{dR}{dt}\right)^2 = \frac{1}{\rho}\left(p_g - P_0 - P(t) - \frac{4\nu_L}{R} \frac{dR}{dt} - \frac{2S}{R}\right)[/tex]

Now I'm assuming that P0 = PB and P = Pinfinite. So that gives (when rearranged):

[tex]\frac{P_B(t) + P_\infty(t)}{\rho_L} + R\frac{d^2R}{dt^2} + \frac{3}{2}\left( \frac{dR}{dt}\right)^2 + \frac{2S}{\rho_LR} = \frac{p_g }{\rho_L}-\frac{4\nu_L}{\rho_LR} \frac{dR}{dt} [/tex]

which has the two terms on the RHS being different from the original expression. Firstly, what is pg? And secondly, why do both terms now have a 1/rho factor?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Thank you.

I've managed to get a very faint green streak on a long exposure. It's quite a lovely effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook