The Relation between Cup Product and Wedge Product

In summary, the authors say that the deRham cohomology with wedge products, is isomorphic as an algebra to the Cech cohomology with cup products, and that this also holds for singular and Cech cohomologies with cup products. They say that this is a beautiful construction, and that it allows one to use smooth functions as coefficients for ones cohomology.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On a smooth triangulation of a manifold differential forms can be viewed as real cochains by integration. The wedge product of two forms gives another real cochain. So does their cup product.

- are they cohomologous?

- Is there a limiting process that relates them?

Physics news on Phys.org
isn't this the content of theorem 14.28 of Bott-Tu, and the assertions on page 192?

I.e. they say that the deRham cohomology with wedge products, is isomorphic as an algebra to the Cech cohomology with cup products, and they seem to say that this also holds for singular and Cech cohomologies with cup products.

Isn't it more or less Fubini's theorem? i.e. to compare the integration action of a wedge product on a cell, with the cup product value?

Have you tried these "obvious" approaches and run into difficulties checking them out?

mathwonk said:
isn't this the content of theorem 14.28 of Bott-Tu, and the assertions on page 192?

I.e. they say that the deRham cohomology with wedge products, is isomorphic as an algebra to the Cech cohomology with cup products, and they seem to say that this also holds for singular and Cech cohomologies with cup products.

Isn't it more or less Fubini's theorem? i.e. to compare the integration action of a wedge product on a cell, with the cup product value?

Have you tried these "obvious" approaches and run into difficulties checking them out?

My thought was that one approximates the integral by the product of the integrals on the faces of the cube. Then subdivision should improve the approximation. The integral of the wedge product would be the limit.

Before taking any limits, are the wedge and cup products - viewed as smooth real valued cochains- cohomologous?

I don't know anything about Czech cohomology. Thanks for the info.

well i am embarrassed to realize i know diddle about cech cohomology myself after all these years, but i want to recommend it very much to you as a beautiful and natural theory.

start from an open cover, in particular look at a polyhedron like an icosahedron. to each vertex associate the open faces (and edges) adjacent to that vertex (the "star" of the vertex). this is the canonical open cover. each open set is thought of as a vertex.

then intersect two such open sets and consider that as a 1 simplex, i.e. an edge.
notice that in our example the intersection of two open sets gives the open faces adjacent to the edge joining the two vertices defining the original open stars.

intersecting three such open stars associated to the vertices of a face, gives that open face. thus abstractly, a k simplex is the intersection of any k+1 open sets of the original open cover.this is a beautiful construction since it allows one to consider functions defined on the open sets associated to the k simplices. this allows a natural way to use say smooth functions as coefficients for ones cohomology rather than just integers.

since one can consider constant functions as well as smooth functions as coefficients, this allows cech cohomology to be used as a bridge between singular and derham cohomology. this is the approach in bott tu.

The cup product and wedge product are two important operations in differential geometry that play a crucial role in understanding the topology and geometry of a manifold. Both operations are defined on differential forms, which can be viewed as real cochains on a smooth triangulation of the manifold. The wedge product of two forms is a real cochain that represents the exterior product of the two forms, while the cup product represents the intersection product.

One question that often arises is whether the cup product and wedge product are cohomologous. In other words, can one be obtained from the other by a homotopy or deformation? The answer to this question is not always straightforward. In general, the cup product and wedge product are not always cohomologous, but there are certain cases where they can be related through a homotopy. For example, on a compact oriented manifold, the cup product and wedge product are cohomologous.

Another way to relate the cup product and wedge product is through a limiting process. This is known as the de Rham limit and it allows us to express the cup product in terms of the wedge product. The de Rham limit is defined as the limit of the cup product as the degree of the forms involved goes to infinity. In this limit, the cup product can be expressed as a combination of wedge products and exterior derivatives. This relationship is particularly useful in studying the topology of a manifold, as it allows us to compute the cup product using only the wedge product.

In conclusion, the cup product and wedge product are both important operations in differential geometry that can be used to study the topology and geometry of a manifold. While they are not always cohomologous, there are cases where they can be related through a homotopy. Additionally, the de Rham limit provides a useful way to express the cup product in terms of the wedge product, allowing for efficient computations in certain cases.

1. What is the cup product and wedge product?

The cup product and wedge product are two algebraic operations in algebraic topology that are used to study the homology and cohomology of topological spaces. The cup product is used to combine two cochains (cohomology elements) to create a new cochain, while the wedge product is used to combine two chains (homology elements) to create a new chain.

2. How are the cup product and wedge product related?

The cup product and wedge product are related through the cup product formula, which states that the cup product of two cochains is equal to the wedge product of their dual chains. This relationship allows for the study of homology and cohomology to be done simultaneously.

3. What is the significance of the relation between cup product and wedge product?

The relation between cup product and wedge product is significant because it allows for a deeper understanding of the topology of a space by studying both its homology and cohomology simultaneously. This relationship also has applications in fields such as differential geometry and algebraic geometry.

4. How is the cup product and wedge product used in practical applications?

The cup product and wedge product have various practical applications in mathematics and physics. In mathematics, they are used to prove theorems and calculate invariants of topological spaces. In physics, they are used in the study of string theory and gauge theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the relation between cup product and wedge product?

While the relation between cup product and wedge product is a powerful tool in algebraic topology, it does have some limitations. For example, it only applies to spaces that have a cohomology and homology theory defined, and it does not work for all types of cochains and chains. Additionally, the cup product and wedge product are not commutative operations, which can sometimes lead to complications in calculations.