The representation matrix for alpha and beta in Dirac equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of the 4-dimensional representation of ##\beta## and the matrix ##\alpha_i## in the context of anti-commutation relations and Hermiticity. The conversation concludes that ##\alpha_i## and ##\beta## do not necessarily have to be symmetric, but they do have to satisfy certain properties such as trace=0 and being unit vectors in polar coordinates.
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
Prove that in the presentation of ##\beta##,

##\mathbf \alpha=\begin{pmatrix}\mathbf 0 & \mathbf \sigma \\ \mathbf \sigma & \mathbf 0\end{pmatrix} ## and ## \beta=\begin{pmatrix}\mathbf I & \mathbf 0 \\ \mathbf0 & -\mathbf I\end{pmatrix} ,##

where ##\mathbf \alpha## and ##\beta## are in the Dirac equation, in which ##H=c \mathbf \alpha \cdot \mathbf p +\beta m c^2##.
Relevant Equations
1. ##\mathbf \alpha## and ##\beta## are Hermitian.
2. ##\{ \mathbf \alpha_i, \mathbf \alpha_j \}=0##, if ##i\ne j##.
3. ##\{ \mathbf \alpha_i, \beta\}=0##.
4. ##\alpha_i^2=\beta^2=1##.
5. The traces of ##\mathbf \alpha## and ##\beta## are zero.
6. The eigenvalues of them are ##1## or ##-1##.
In the 4-dimensional representation of ##\beta##, ## \beta=\begin{pmatrix}\mathbf I & \mathbf 0 \\ \mathbf0 & -\mathbf I\end{pmatrix} ,## and we can suppose ## \alpha_i=\begin{pmatrix}\mathbf A_i & \mathbf B_i \\ \mathbf C_i & \mathbf D_i\end{pmatrix} ##.

From the anti-commutation relation ##\{ \mathbf \alpha_i, \beta\}=0##, I can derive ##A_i=D_i=0##.

From ##\alpha_i^2=1##, I can have ##C_i=B_i^{-1}##. Furthermore, from the Hermiticity, I can have ##C_i=B_i^{\dagger}##.

But I could not find a way to prove that ##C_i=B_i##. The relation ##\{ \mathbf \alpha_i, \mathbf \alpha_j \}=0## for ##i\ne j## does not help.

Should ##\alpha_i## and ##\beta## always be symmetric? This is not given in the problem. Is there any other properties of ##\alpha_i##?

I have looked in some books. These matrices are just given directly without proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
Say
[tex]
B=
\begin{pmatrix}
a & b \\
c & -a \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
with trace=0 used.
[tex]
C=B^{-1}=\frac{-1}{det \ B}
\begin{pmatrix}
a & b \\
c & -a \\
\end{pmatrix}
=\frac{-1}{det \ B} B[/tex]
[tex]det \ B=-a^2-bc=-1[/tex]
because B has eigenvalue 1 and -1 so
[tex](a-\lambda)(-a-\lambda)-bc=0[/tex]
for ##\lambda=\pm1##. As ##\alpha## is Hermitian we observe a is real and ## c=b^*##. so
[tex]a^2+|b|^2=1[/tex]

Last edited:
@anuttarasammyak Thanks! I forgot the determinant. I will try to generalize it to 4 dimensional case.

Further to post #2 as general expression
[tex]
B=C=
\begin{pmatrix}
cos\theta & sin\theta e^{-i\phi} \\
sin\theta e^{i\phi} & -cos\theta \\
\end{pmatrix}
=\cos\theta\ \sigma_z+sin\theta cos\phi\ \sigma_x+sin\theta sin\phi\ \sigma_y[/tex]
that seems like unit vector in polar coordinates.

Likes Haorong Wu

1. What is the representation matrix for alpha and beta in Dirac equation?

The representation matrix for alpha and beta in Dirac equation is a 4x4 matrix that describes the spin and momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is used to solve the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons.

2. How is the representation matrix for alpha and beta derived?

The representation matrix for alpha and beta is derived from the Dirac equation, which is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It involves complex mathematical calculations and is often solved using techniques from linear algebra and group theory.

3. What is the significance of the representation matrix for alpha and beta?

The representation matrix for alpha and beta is significant because it allows us to describe the spin and momentum of particles in a relativistic quantum mechanical framework. It is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, and has important applications in fields such as particle physics and quantum computing.

4. How does the representation matrix for alpha and beta relate to the Pauli matrices?

The representation matrix for alpha and beta is closely related to the Pauli matrices, which are a set of 2x2 matrices that describe the spin of particles in non-relativistic quantum mechanics. The Pauli matrices are a subset of the representation matrix for alpha and beta, which includes additional terms to account for the relativistic effects.

5. Are there alternative representations for alpha and beta in the Dirac equation?

Yes, there are alternative representations for alpha and beta in the Dirac equation, such as the chiral representation and the Weyl representation. These representations use different sets of matrices to describe the spin and momentum of particles and have their own advantages and applications in different contexts.