Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Republican Candidates and Evolution

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    In case you haven't already heard, when the Republican Candidates were asked, "Who doesn't believe in evolution?" 3 of them raised their hand. If you didn't see it, I attached the clip below.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...119&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5

I have been thinking about this for a few days now, and I honestly don't even believe the candidates. In my opinion, every person that raised their hand is lying, as I think all candidates (both Democrat and Republican) surely believe in evolution. In my opinion, this response was no different than any other politicians response to a question, in other words it's complete bs that serves another purpose. In this case, the Republican candidates lied because they think (and maybe correctly so) that claiming you reject evolution is a smart political move.

My analysis leaves me with the following unanwered questions. How sick and twisted does one have to be in order to intentionally lie about their personal beliefs, all for gain of power? How much of an egomaniac and how power hungry does one have to be to care about political office that much? How arrogant do you have to be to want so much control over the lives of other human beings?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You'd be amazed at how many people don't believe in evolution, or more accurately, don't understand it.

4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    I have dial-up, can you please tell me who raised their hands.

5. Feb 2, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  6. Feb 2, 2008 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To answer Economist's original question, it is very plausible that each of these three truly "does not believe in evolution." All I can say is, two down, one to go.

7. Feb 3, 2008 #6

russ_watters

It may actually be more than three who were lying...

8. Feb 3, 2008 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A little more fair representation of Huckabee's views on evolution. Probably not much better than raising his hand saying he doesn't believe in evolution, but at least a fuller representation of his beliefs.

9. Feb 3, 2008 #8
    Does everyone reject my claim that there's a high probability they believe in evolution but don't want to admit it? Is that really that hard to believe? I mean, politicians flip-flop on all kinds of issues, changing their mind when it serves their political purpose. I see this as no different. I could be wrong, maybe they do not believe in evolution. However, I think there is a much greater chance that it was a political move.

10. Feb 3, 2008 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All three candidates who raised their hand are evangelical Christians, and Huckabee is a former evangelical minister. I truly doubt they are lying only about their opinions on evolution. Yes, politicians lie all the time, but not in this case.

11. Feb 3, 2008 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't reject your claim when it comes to Sam Brownback. He tries to claim he deserves the backing of every religion he's ever belonged to. I guess it could be a real religious conversion, but converting to Catholicism didn't change his views on evolution.

I'd believe Tancredo. He's never displayed the smarts necessary to be a suave political maneuverer. He's the type that only gets elected in districts where there's only one political party. Turnout in primaries are so small that any fanatic can get elected if there's nothing to check them in the general election. There's parts of Colorado (Colorado Springs included) that desperately need a Democratic Party even if the Democrats wind up more conservative than the Republicans.

Huckabee clearly doesn't reject evolution completely even if he's not willing to reject the Genesis story completely. I guess that's a pretty clear case of straddling the fence even if he's more to the anti-evolution side of the fence. He'd have an easier time in life if he didn't belong to a religion that takes such a literal translation of the Old Testament. In fact, I'm not sure how his religion can combine the Old Testament into any sort of coherent theme. Somewhere along the line they have to pick and choose which parts to take literally and which parts are "difficult to understand", so why Genesis?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  12. Feb 3, 2008 #11

russ_watters

It's possible - but it is also possible that it was the ones who didn't raise their hands who were lying.

13. Feb 3, 2008 #12
    I agree, that's possible. I'm not trying to claim that I know, and I totally realize that all I am doing is speculating.

I just think it's much more likely that everyone on that stage believes in evolution, and the decision to raise the hand or not came down to nothing other than political strategy.

Just like what Bill Clinton said about Jesse Jackson winning South Carolina. It was no accident or slip of the tongue. Slick Willy knew exactly what he was doing, in fact it was likely a premeditated statement.

14. Feb 3, 2008 #13

EL

Science Advisor

15. Feb 3, 2008 #14

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sometimes my own political affiliation disgusts me. Every time I read these statistics is one of those times ... and then I read stuff from the other side ...

Given these statistics, and given that political parties tend to be driven by their extremes, I would place more likelihood in Russ' assertion (some of those 7 who did not raise their hands were lying) than in Economist's.

16. Feb 3, 2008 #15
    Ron Paul also does not believe in evolution:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Feb 3, 2008 #16

EL

Science Advisor

Myself I would never ever be able to vote for a candidate who doesn't accept evolution.
    If he's honest about it, he's simply stupid.
    If he's lying, it proves he would basically lie about anything just in order to become president.

18. Feb 3, 2008 #17
    Interestingly enough, I believe the above numbers actually improve my chances of being correct. I'm pretty sure that belief in evolution and education are highly correlated, and I imagine that most of those Republican candidates are pretty educated. In other words, I find it hard to believe that people of their "status" don't believe in evolution. Furthermore, the fact that 68% of Republican's don't believe in evolution increases the payoff from lying about it.

Either way, I guess we'll never know.

19. Feb 3, 2008 #18

EL

Science Advisor

As you say, we'll probably never know, but I'd actually not be very surprised if they are honest about it. Higher education is probably a good cure if it's in natural science, otherwise I'm not sure the effects are that big. If there are about 48% nuts, why shouldn't a few of them have been able to reach some positions...

20. Feb 3, 2008 #19
    Yeah, I've thought about this too. It's definitely possible (assuming the poll was well done).

21. Feb 4, 2008 #20

EL

Science Advisor

I've noticed there are some republican voters here at PF who (in other respects) seem quite reasonable. Question is then, would you as a republican ever be capable of voting for a candidate like Huckabee, or would you rather go for a scientific friendly democrat?

If I, hypothetically, were allowed to vote, I would definitely much rather put my vote on a sane republican than on a creationist democrat, even though my political views are much more on the liberal side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?