News The Republican Candidates and Evolution

• Thread starter Economist
  • Start date

EL

Science Advisor
A republican can respond to your question by asking if you would vote for a scientific minded democrat with ridiculous ideas as opposed to a creationist republican who had fairly sound ideas in all other areas?
To make the question simpler then:
Who would you, as a republican, rather vote for: Obama or Huckabee?

Realistically speaking, evolution is not a big deal for most people. If a republican candidate promises a middle class taxcut while a democrat promises raisig taxes to balance the budget, something like evolution goes to the back of the line in terms of importance. Unless you have parkinsons disease, then things like stem cells, evolution, and creation become more important.
If evolution is a minor question for most americans, that's quite scaring. If people are not capable of spotting an (or actually, several) obvious nutcase(s), you can be sure a nut ends up in the top. (Well, we've already seen this happen. After his first four years it was pretty obvious GWB didn't have all his sandwiches in the picnic basket, and he still got reelected.)

ShawnD

Science Advisor
That's a bit of a strawman since you're taking a very specific example. I just mean in general does evolution take priority over things like foreign policy, taxes, spending, proposed laws, etc. In this specific case of the current US election, I think the people siding with evolution generally do have better foreign policy and spending policies, but that's just this one case. In the next election there might be a guy who's a creationist but he's against a bloated military, he's against rampant spending, he's in favor of social freedom, and he wants lower taxes for the lower and middle class. When that happens, we shouldn't automatically put him to the back of the line because of evolution. Vote on all the issues, not just 1 of them.

If evolution is a minor question for most americans, that's quite scaring. If people are not capable of spotting an (or actually, several) obvious nutcase(s), you can be sure a nut ends up in the top.
It is disturbing that a large percentage of Americans are functionally retarded in that sense, but it shouldn't be much of a problem as long as smart people are still a part of society. As long as the director of something like the CDC still believes in evolution, we're good. As long as the guys at the FDA believe in evolution, we're good. Leave science to the sciency people, leave politics to the politicians.

D H

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Neither. You have zeroed in on my nightmare choice of candidates. Certainly some reasonable third party candidate would step in to fill the void should this come to pass.

It may actually be more than three who were lying...
I doubt it. Being Republican doesn't make you a fundie Christian. Even strong neocons can be agnostic or athiest. After all Reagon was famously nonChristian. It is more like the Republicans take advantage of the Christians rather than the other way around.

EL

Science Advisor
I like the old saying (don't know who said it) that only in America do most people believe professional wrestling is real and the moon landing wasn't. I think I have as deep a faith as any of the candidates, but the evidence for evolution is overwhelming. Some of the mechanisms are still open to question, but the existence of evolution is no more open to question than, say, the 1st law of thermodynamics (oops, many Americans still believe you can burn water in your car). My lament is that so many of us are so ignorant about the very basics of science. Forums like PF are a help, but you can't get most politicians to participate.

ShawnD

Science Advisor
the 1st law of thermodynamics (oops, many Americans still believe you can burn water in your car). My lament is that so many of us are so ignorant about the very basics of science.
If it makes you feel any better, Asia has equally stupid ideas.

Fan Death!
"Many people in South Korea believe that when operated in closed rooms, electric fans cause sudden death, suffocating victims by stealing their oxygen."
:rofl:

If it makes you feel any better, Asia has equally stupid ideas.

Fan Death!
"Many people in South Korea believe that when operated in closed rooms, electric fans cause sudden death, suffocating victims by stealing their oxygen."
:rofl:
And just when I was counting on China to forgive our debt and India to start opening factories here.

S

seycyrus

What was the latest? 25% of Brits think that Gandhi and Churchill were myths...

I'm thinking a position as a roadie with Douglas Adams is looking better and better.

McCain seems to have fallen in the creationist trap.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/politics/90069 [Broken]

As the Gallup Poll noted, McCain has a generally consistent conservative voting record but forged a national reputation after a series of notable breaks with fellow Republicans. On Tuesday, though, he sided with the president on two issues that have made headlines recently: teaching intelligent design in schools and Cindy Sheehan, the grieving mother who has come to personify the anti-war movement. McCain told the Star that, like Bush, he believes "all points of view" should be available to students studying the origins of mankind. The theory of intelligent design says life is too complex to have developed through evolution, and that a higher power must have had a hand in guiding it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving