The resistance of an ohmic conductor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
Viona
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
I know that the resistance of an ohmic conductor increases with length because the electrons going through the conductor must undergo more collisions in a longer conductor. But why decreasing the cross-sectional area of the conductor also increases the resistance of a conductor?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of increasing the area as having many conductors in parallel. Decreasing is the opposite.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Viona, vanhees71, DaveE and 1 other person
I am not sure that your intuitive model, according to which you conclude more resistance means more collisions is entirely correct.
Formally resistance is defined as ##R=\frac{V}{I}##. Decreasing the cross sectional area decreases I and that's why R is increasing. (it is ##I=nSve## where ##S## the cross sectional area, ##n## the density of free electrons, ##v## the average drift velocity and ##e## the charge of electron.)
 
If you like an intuitive model, adding length to a resistive wire is the same as adding resistors in series.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Viona and vanhees71