Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical The science of romance

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Brains have a love circuit
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_on_sc/sci_love_science [Broken]

Figures that this subject would be a topic on Valentine's Day, but it is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From the article:
    I've noticed that people getting divorced generally exhibit a behavior one might call "withdrawl". There seems to be a strong, physical reaction to the circumstances surrounding a breakup. These physical reactions include nausea and a general feeling of illness, lack of appetite, a desire to have that person back (analagous to a craving), and even physical affects such as diarhea.

So could it be there is a sort of chemical dependency - for a chemical produced by the body itself perhaps? The only problem I see with this is that chemical dependancy or addiction is generally something that requires regular doses (ie: intake) of some chemical compound, for example heroine or alchohol. But then again, things like gambling, shopping and other past times also seem to be 'addictive'. I wonder how the body becomes addicted to such things as love, gambling or shopping when there is no intake of a chemical. Is there a chemical produced by the body which stops being produced when certain interactions with our environment are interupted? Or perhaps there is a chemical produced when those things are taken away?

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I believe the chemical is dopamine, which provides pleasurable stimulation.

http://www.utexas.edu/research/asrec/dopamine.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Feb 25, 2009 #4
    During a few serious breakups I've been through I definately have a period where I feel nauseous and lose my appetite. Perhaps a serious breakup is similiar to drug rehab. I suppose being with that special person constantly pumps dopamine into your body. When that person is gone then the dopamine is gone (or atleast much less prevalent).

I was semi addicted to gambling last winter (although I was winning) and I would get a huge rush from playing. So I'm sure body chemicals were involved.

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5
    From the link posted by Astronuc:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook