The Set of Borel Sets .... Axler Pages 28-29 .... ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Sets
In summary, Axler is discussing the concept of Borel sets and how they are not equal to all other sets. He provides an example of a situation where this is the case and a proof of the same.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I need help in order to fully understand the concept of the set of Borel sets ...
I am reading Sheldon Axler's book: Measure, Integration & Real Analysis ... and I am focused on Chapter 2: Measures ...

I need help in order to fully understand the set of Borel sets ... ...

The relevant text reads as follows:
Axler - 1 - Borel Sets ... PART 1 ... .png

Axler - 2 - Borel Sets ... PART 2 ... .png

My questions related to the above text are as follows:QUESTION 1

In the above text by Axler we read the following:

" ... ... However, the set of all such intersections is not the set of Borel sets (because it is not closed under countable unions). ... ..."Can someone please explain why exactly that the set of all such intersections is not the set of Borel sets ... ? Why exactly is such a set not closed under countable unions and why is this relevant?
QUESTION 2

In the above text by Axler we read the following:

" ... ... The set of all countable unions of countable intersections of open subsets of ##\mathbb{R}## is also not the set of Borel sets (because it is not closed under countable intersections). ... ... "Can someone please explain why exactly that the set of all countable unions of countable intersections of open subsets of ##\mathbb{R}## is not the set of Borel sets ... ? Why exactly is such a set not closed under countable intersections and why is this relevant?
Help with the above two questions will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1 and question 2 are dual (use complements), so I will only answer question 1.

Q1: Axler claims that the set ##\mathcal{B}:=\{\bigcap \epsilon\mid \epsilon \mathrm{\ countable \ collection \ of \ opens}\}## is not equal to all Borel sets. His argument is: showing that there exists a sequence of sets ##(B_n)_n## in ##\mathcal{B}## such that ##\bigcup_n B_n \notin \mathcal{B}##. Since the Borel sets have the property that countable unions remain Borel, we deduce that ##\mathcal{B}## cannot be equal to the Borel sets.

I'll give an explicit example now for the situation I'm describing above. First, note that every singelton in ##\Bbb{R}## is in ##\mathcal{B}##. To see this, note that ##\{x\}= \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty(x-1/n, x+1/n)##. Hence, ##\Bbb{Q}## is a countable union of sets in ##\mathcal{B}##. It suffices to show that ##\Bbb{Q}## is not in ##\mathcal{B}##. This is non-trivial (and probably why Axler does not go in detail) as it uses the Baire category theorem (this theorem is probably proven later in the book). Here you can find a proof:

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/69451/

To understand that link, we introduce a definition: a ##G_\delta## set is by definition a countable intersection of open sets, so ##\mathcal{B}## is the set of ##G_\delta##-sets.

Likes Math Amateur
Math_QED said:
Question 1 and question 2 are dual (use complements), so I will only answer question 1.

Q1: Axler claims that the set ##\mathcal{B}:=\{\bigcap \epsilon\mid \epsilon \mathrm{\ countable \ collection \ of \ opens}\}## is not equal to all Borel sets. His argument is: showing that there exists a sequence of sets ##(B_n)_n## in ##\mathcal{B}## such that ##\bigcup_n B_n \notin \mathcal{B}##. Since the Borel sets have the property that countable unions remain Borel, we deduce that ##\mathcal{B}## cannot be equal to the Borel sets.

I'll give an explicit example now for the situation I'm describing above. First, note that every singelton in ##\Bbb{R}## is in ##\mathcal{B}##. To see this, note that ##\{x\}= \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty(x-1/n, x+1/n)##. Hence, ##\Bbb{Q}## is a countable union of sets in ##\mathcal{B}##. It suffices to show that ##\Bbb{Q}## is not in ##\mathcal{B}##. This is non-trivial (and probably why Axler does not go in detail) as it uses the Baire category theorem (this theorem is probably proven later in the book). Here you can find a proof:

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/69451/

To understand that link, we introduce a definition: a ##G_\delta## set is by definition a countable intersection of open sets, so ##\mathcal{B}## is the set of ##G_\delta##-sets.
Thanks for a most helpful post Math_QED ...

Still reflecting on what you have written ...

Peter

1. What is the Set of Borel Sets?

The Set of Borel Sets refers to the collection of all possible subsets of a given topological space that can be constructed using open sets. It is used in measure theory and has applications in probability theory and functional analysis.

2. Why is the Set of Borel Sets important?

The Set of Borel Sets is important because it allows for the definition of Borel measures, which are used to assign a numerical value to subsets of a topological space. This is essential in many areas of mathematics, including probability and analysis.

3. How is the Set of Borel Sets constructed?

The Set of Borel Sets is constructed by starting with the collection of all open sets in a topological space and then taking the smallest sigma-algebra that contains these sets. This sigma-algebra is known as the Borel sigma-algebra, and its elements are the Borel sets.

4. What are some properties of the Set of Borel Sets?

Some properties of the Set of Borel Sets include being closed under countable unions and intersections, being closed under complements, and being generated by open sets. These properties make it a useful tool in measure theory and analysis.

5. How is the Set of Borel Sets related to Lebesgue measure?

The Set of Borel Sets is closely related to Lebesgue measure, which is a way of assigning a length, area, or volume to subsets of Euclidean space. The Borel sigma-algebra is the smallest sigma-algebra that contains all the intervals in the real line, and it is used to define the Lebesgue measure on the real line.