Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The sign of the cosmological term

1. Jun 27, 2015 #1
    I want to know the sign of the cosmological term. It seems that in the left hand side of the Einsetein equation the cosmological term is [itex]-\Lambda g_{ik}[/itex] for (+---) convetion or [itex]+\Lambda g_{ik}[/itex] for (-+++) convetion. Right?
    Best

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That makes intuitive sense to me. I hope someone shows up who can confirm this more authoritatively. The reason it makes sense to me as a non-expert is that Λ shows up with a minus sign in the Friedmann equation in cosmology. The Friedmann is supposed to be derived from the "0 0" component of the GR equation , that is from the "t t" components term by term. And the Friedmann equation looks like this:
    H2 - Λc2/3 = [constant] ρ

where H is a fractional growth rate with dimension Time-1 so H2 has dimension Time-2, and rho is the density.
    Λ has dimension Length-2 so Λc2 also has dimension Time-2, so that is consistent.
    And Λc2/3 = H2 the square of the longterm Hubble expansion rate to which H(t) is converging.

So I think of Λ as appearing with a + sign on the left side of the GR equation, in the (-+++) convention and therefore appearing with a - sign on the left side of the Friedmann.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  4. Jun 28, 2015 #3

Ibix

Science Advisor

5. Jun 28, 2015 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Could you tell which section?

6. Jun 28, 2015 #5

Ibix

Science Advisor

The very first page (it's red in my copy) is a table of sign convention by author. There are eight possibilities in their classification scheme; I haven't actually checked that they have an example of every one in use.

Edit: The above isn't directly related to the OP's question - it was more in the vein of a general caution.

7. Jun 28, 2015 #6
    Thanks for your enlightenmental replies. I would likt to know more about dark energy, i.e. cosmological term transposed to right hand side, reffering

i.e. [itex]\Lambda g_{ik}[/itex] for (+---) convetion or [itex]-\Lambda g_{ik}[/itex] for (-+++) convetion. The positive energy and the negative momentum are not usual.
    I would like get some interpretation or explanation of this combination. If you know something good please let me share it.
    Best.

8. Jun 28, 2015 #7

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's negative pressure, not negative momentum. The momentum three-vector is a vector, so it doesn't make sense to talk about whether it's positive or negative.

9. Jul 2, 2015 #8
    Is pressure the momentum flux? Force/area = Momentun density * velocity of fluid = momentum flux

10. Jul 2, 2015 #9

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook