The size and direction of magnetic induction and force

In summary, the problem is that four long straight wires are placed in vacuum according to the picture. The current through each wire flows in the specified direction and the resulting magnetic induction is found using the Ampere's right hand law. Additionally, the force acting on one meter of the bottom left wire is found using the Lorentz Force.
darkprior

Homework Statement

Hello, I have this problem:
Four long straight parallel wires are placed in vacuum according to the picture, the distance between each wire is a = 20 cm. Through each wire flows electric current I = 20 A in the specified direction. What is the size and direction of magnetic induction in the middle of this system? What is the size and direction of the force acting on one meter of the bottom left wire?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

RAyv1y0.png

I drew the line of forces following the Ampere's right hand law, and also the vectors of magnetic inducion of each wire:

EHgePqp.png

now my answer is how do I compute the size of the resulting induction, and my second question is how do I find out the force acting on 1 meter of the lower left wire?

Thanks in advance for advices

Physics news on Phys.org
Do they really want to know the strength of magnetic induction? Won't that be zero, because induction arises from the time variation of mag fields and this system is steady state? The vectors you have drawn are of mag fields ##\vec B##, not of induction.

If it's just the mag field that's wanted, not induction, then the Biot-Savart law will do the job.

andrewkirk said:
Do they really want to know the strength of magnetic induction? Won't that be zero, because induction arises from the time variation of mag fields and this system is steady state? The vectors you have drawn are of mag fields ##\vec B##, not of induction.

If it's just the mag field that's wanted, not induction, then the Biot-Savart law will do the job.

Yes they want the strength of magnetic induction, if it is zero, then fine I will write it as a solution. Now can you please give me a hint with identifying the direction and strength of the force acting on one meter of left bottom wire, please?

darkprior said:
can you please give me a hint with identifying the direction and strength of the force acting on one meter of left bottom wire, please?
It is the Lorentz Force, which is explained here.

andrewkirk said:
It is the Lorentz Force, which is explained here.

Thank you for your help and time

What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a magnetic field is created in a material. This is typically done by passing an electric current through a wire, which creates a magnetic field around the wire.

How is the strength of magnetic induction measured?

The strength of magnetic induction is typically measured in units called tesla (T) or gauss (G). These units represent the density of magnetic field lines in a given area.

What is the relationship between magnetic induction and force?

Magnetic force is directly proportional to magnetic induction and the magnitude of the electric current. This means that as the magnetic induction increases, so does the force acting on an object in the magnetic field.

How does the direction of magnetic induction affect the force on an object?

The direction of magnetic induction determines the direction of the magnetic force on an object. If the magnetic induction is perpendicular to the direction of the current, the force will be at a right angle to both the induction and the current.

How can the direction of magnetic induction and force be determined?

The direction of magnetic induction and force can be determined by using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current, the fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field and the palm will face the direction of the force.