The smartest man in universe believes in Intelligent Design
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
110 replies · 33K views
Astronomy news on Phys.org
humanino
- 2,538
- 8
Moonbear said:Smartest man in the universe? Pfft, big deal! As usual, all of us smarter women will have to set him straight.![]()
That is what this guy needs ! The smartest women in the universe to live with ! He is probably married with a regularly smart women, which is the cause of subconscius tension and frustration in their couple. That perfectly makes sens to me
Don't supersmart people wear costumes ?
At least a lab coat ?
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
arildno said:I refuse!
Homework Helper
- 2,190
- 200
You are all giving him a hard time, but it seems to me that he is just telling it how he sees it, and being so different from everyone else, he is alone and is not politically skilled.
He sees our differences as petty, and so naturally believes that genetically engineering ourselves to be smarter will result in us coming to the same political conclusions, whatever they are, and thereby becoming a hive-like society. It's not fascism per se, rather voluntary fascism, where everyone volunteers to do their part. It would be a fascism with no coercion.
But the problem with that is it only works if everyone is on that level. Unfortunately, while there are systems in our society, those systems are run by greedy people. A hive-like society can only work if everyone is beyond greed.
He sees our differences as petty, and so naturally believes that genetically engineering ourselves to be smarter will result in us coming to the same political conclusions, whatever they are, and thereby becoming a hive-like society. It's not fascism per se, rather voluntary fascism, where everyone volunteers to do their part. It would be a fascism with no coercion.
But the problem with that is it only works if everyone is on that level. Unfortunately, while there are systems in our society, those systems are run by greedy people. A hive-like society can only work if everyone is beyond greed.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
(born c. 1957) - i.e. he doesn't know when he was born? I wonder if he wrote the article about himself.PIT2 said:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Or the money he's getting from the ID people.verty said:I should add, lest people think I am two faced, that you could say I gave him a hard time for his God-speak, but since watching the videos, I now think he doesn't believe it himself but is pursuing that for political reasons.
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
I'd preach about the Flying Spaghetti Monster if it'd ensure me money
Seriously I place ID and YEC on the same level, supposition trying to destroy science, at least the FSM's writers have some real knowledge about science.
Ahaha me jimlads, come over to the FSM, we has pirates, grog, a midgit and a tree, and if mountains be your thing we have them too.
When ye be dead we have wall to wall hooker factories and beer volcanoes, so what ye be waiting for?
Ninjas is a ghostly lot.
Oscar Wilde.
Seriously I place ID and YEC on the same level, supposition trying to destroy science, at least the FSM's writers have some real knowledge about science.
Ahaha me jimlads, come over to the FSM, we has pirates, grog, a midgit and a tree, and if mountains be your thing we have them too.
When ye be dead we have wall to wall hooker factories and beer volcanoes, so what ye be waiting for?
Ninjas is a ghostly lot.
Oscar Wilde.
Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
verty said:But if that money could only buy what interests buffoons, what would you buy? That's the situation he faces...
I suppose he could buy a relaxing life away from civilization, but not much else.
True but since I consider my situation, I'd sell my soul to the Devil or the great vegan in a heartbeat, just so I could pursue my studies without the need to worry about money. I.e. I had to leave college for the lack of it and have only started learning when I earned enough money to do so.
Last edited:
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
PIT2 said:smartest guy in universe
? Huh really ? So they "tested" everybody in the universe in the same way ? Huh ?
marlon
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Sounds to me like he needs a better teacher...Christopher Michael Langan (born c. 1957) is an American autodidact who says that he taught himself mathematics, physics, cosmology and the cognitive sciences.[1]
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Buy food? The way the Wik link reads, he's not very successful.verty said:Seems an odd thing for someone that smart to do, to preach about ID because he wants money. What would he buy, anyway?
Moridin
- 694
- 3
Think of it like this: If he believes in Intelligent Design, then he is obviously not the smartest person on the planet.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,859
- 6
I don't think he explicitly stated he believed in intelligent design (unless I missed it for I was doing other things simultaneously). I'm not sure it was implicit either.
EDIT: Oh well reading the wikipedia entry it seems he does.
EDIT: Oh well reading the wikipedia entry it seems he does.
Last edited:
PIT2
- 897
- 2
Most people don't like people that are smarter than themselves.
I like him.
I like him.
user299792458
- 18
- 0
jeez, the camera work is annoying...
tehno
- 375
- 0
But...
arildno,my buddy,looks like we are doomed...
Resistance is futile. (Star Trek;"Borg").arildno said:I refuse!
arildno,my buddy,looks like we are doomed...
zoki85
- 1,198
- 230
His mustaches ,clear sign!humanino said:I did watch them, but the second half of the last my attention dropped. This was verry funny (because stupid) at some points, very scary at others (the smartest guy in the world is fascist !)
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Most smart people think they are dumber than they really are and most dumb people think they are smarter than they really are.PIT2 said:Most people don't like people that are smarter than themselves.
I like him.
I'm not surprised he thinks he's the smartest person in the world.
whatta
- 256
- 0
to actually http://www.iscid.org/papers/Langan_CTMU_092902.pdf
Doesn't it sound familiar to anyone? Hint. EDIT: I now begin to think that anyone who tries to come up with interpretation of the universe in closed form, will end up in something like this. EDIT2: or how about this:
andthe universe is “intelligent” because this is precisely what it must be in order to solve the problem of self-selection... intelligence itself is a natural phenomenon that could never have emerged in humans and animals were it not already a latent property of the medium of emergence.
The CTMU says that reality is a language…a self-explanatory, self-theorizing, self-modeling structure identical to its universe.
Doesn't it sound familiar to anyone? Hint. EDIT: I now begin to think that anyone who tries to come up with interpretation of the universe in closed form, will end up in something like this. EDIT2: or how about this:
Reality is a relation, and every relation is a syndiffeonic relation exhibiting syndiffeonesis or “difference-in-sameness”... Syndiffeonesis implies that any assertion to the effect that two things are different implies that they are reductively the same
Last edited by a moderator:
J77
- 1,092
- 1
If I dropped a box of matches do you reckon he could give me the number 
whatta
- 256
- 0
But it follows that gravity exists.arildno said:There is a latency in the hammer to fall off the table; it doesn't follow it already has done so.
whatta
- 256
- 0
thanks this thread for a pointer to rather nice reading, btw. this guy DOES make some sense. but. to somehow make ID opponents here a bit more happy, let me quote him again:
that the universe is somehow prohibited from serving as its own source, means, or reason. But this amounts to saying that the universe could only exist “by magic”, popping out of the apeiron with a spontaneity exceeding that by which a genuine magician might pull a magic rabbit out of a hat. For whereas magic rabbits can at least be said to originate by magic associated with magicians who pull them out of top hats into the bright light of reality, or to magically bootstrap themselves out of their own hats into their own realities, the universe would be denied any ontological basis or medium whatsoever…even a bootstrap.
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
the universe is “intelligent” because this is precisely what it must be in order to solve the problem of self-selection... intelligence itself is a natural phenomenon that could never have emerged in humans and animals were it not already a latent property of the medium of emergence.
How does that follow? Why? Sounds like arm wavery to me? Thought must be an intrinsic part of the universe or thought itself could not arise, er why? So in order for intelligence to exist there must be an intelligence, any proof of that? Any logical reason to believe that? It sounds more reasonable to believe that given enough monkeys and enough typewriters x...
The CTMU says that reality is a language…a self-explanatory, self-theorizing, self-modeling structure identical to its universe.
I have no idea what the CTMU is but if this is either in terms of those who view reality it's self evident - or if he's referring to some sort of conscious direction which I think he is - also nonsense, why would he make that assumption?
Reality is a relation, and every relation is a syndiffeonic relation exhibiting syndiffeonesis or “difference-in-sameness”... Syndiffeonesis implies that any assertion to the effect that two things are different implies that they are reductively the same
YEEEESSS OOOOKAY, time for you medication now Mr Langen...
Last edited:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
So it makes more sense that some magical, mystical "intelligent designer" created the universe?whatta said:thanks this thread for a pointer to rather nice reading, btw. this guy DOES make some sense. but. to somehow make ID opponents here a bit more happy, let me quote him again:
The CTMU and Intelligent Design
Design theory, which traces its origins to traditional theological “arguments from design” holding that nature was more or less obviously designed by a preexisting intelligence
OY. There is no science here, it's mysticism.Similar threads
- SF
- · Replies 1 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 1
- Moridin
- · Replies 61 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 61
- Frozenoak
- · Replies 3 ·
- Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
- Replies
- 3
- Moridin
- · Replies 5 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 5
- GaryCGibson
- · Replies 3 ·
- Beyond the Standard Models
- Replies
- 3
- TheStatutoryApe
- · Replies 27 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 27
- SOS2008
- · Replies 57 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 57
- VonWeber
- · Replies 11 ·
- Earth Sciences
- Replies
- 11
- pattylou
- · Replies 20 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 20
- rachmaninoff
- · Replies 18 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 18