Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The sound frequency of two metals?

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    Have any studies been done on the elastic properties of two unlike metals? I have noted a difference in the sound frequency of different horseshoes. Specifically, what is the effect of a horseshoe of one frequency striking a stake of another? I also assume that the speed of the strike is important, as well as the location struck. Are there any simple formula that provide answers? I am assuming that there is a direct correlation between frequency and vibration. Thank You
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

The frequency of the sound an object makes is a function of the elasticity of the object, it's geometry, and its mass. Two of those three are, of course, material properties. For a guitar string, the calculation is easy becaue it is essentially one-dimensional. For more complex objects, it can get quite difficult to calculate the frequency of vibration.
  4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    Thank You, Russ...
    I am trying to determine if a cast or forged horseshoe is more lively and thus, prone to bouncing off of a stake. Later this year I will be using a high speed camera to see where the horseshoe hits the stake and when it bounces back. Finally, can a shoe be designed to bounce the shoe to the hooks? Thank you for your response.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?