The sums of forces along x and y

In summary, the person is trying to find a equation for the force exerted on a person by a box at a constant speed, neglecting the effect of the person's hands on the equation. If the person's hands aren't slipping, the force exerted on the person by the box is incorrect.
Malitic
I have a problem I'm working on where the general premise is that there is a box being pushed along the ceiling at a constant speed. The force F is at some angle with respect to the vertical. There is a coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ceiling and the persons hands and the box. The latter of which keeps the persons hands from slipping.
I am trying to be deliberately vague because I want help on the concept not the problem itself.

A = angle
[tex]F_a[/tex] = Force along the angle A
[tex]\mu_k[/tex] = coefficient of friction along the ceiling
[tex]\mu_{k2}[/tex] = coefficient of kinetic friction with persons hands
My thinking is that
[tex]\sum f_x = f_a*sinA - ff = 0 \Rightarrow f_a*cosA = \mu_k*N + \mu_{k2} *N[/tex]
and
[tex]\sum f_y = f_a*cosA - mg - n = 0[/tex]

Is there a flaw in my logic? Because when I put in all the information my result is unrealistic. I have attached the free body that goes along with my thinking.

Attachments

• free.png
    free.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the person's hands aren't slipping then ignore the coeffecient of friction between the hands and the box for now.

Now resolve your forces:

In the y direction:
[tex]F_a*cos(A) - mg - N = 0 [/tex] N is normal reaction between box and ceiling
[tex]N = F_a*cos(A) - mg[/tex]

In the x direction:
[tex]F_a*sin(A) - \mu*N = 0 [/tex]
[tex]F_a*sin(A) - \mu(F_a*cos(A) - mg) = 0[/tex]

Now as far as the coeffecient of friction between the hands and the box, this should be a limiting condition.

[tex]F_a*sin(A) < F_a*cos(A)*\mu[/tex]
[tex]A < Tan^-1(\mu)[/tex], so the above equations only hold true if this condition is met.

The force along the x direction in your problem is incorrect because the friction between the box and the hands is important to the problem overall.

However in bug fixing your problem I was able to see where I went wrong so thanks.

What is meant by "sums of forces along x and y"?

The sums of forces along x and y refer to the total forces acting in the x and y directions on an object. These forces can be positive or negative, and their sum determines the overall motion of the object.

Why is it important to calculate the sums of forces along x and y?

Calculating the sums of forces along x and y is important because it allows us to determine the net force acting on an object. This, in turn, helps us understand the motion and behavior of the object.

How do you calculate the sums of forces along x and y?

To calculate the sums of forces along x and y, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object in the x and y directions. Then, you can use vector addition to find the net force in each direction. Finally, you can add the net forces in each direction to find the overall sum of forces along x and y.

What happens if the sums of forces along x and y are not equal to zero?

If the sums of forces along x and y are not equal to zero, the object will experience a net force and will accelerate in the direction of the net force. This acceleration can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

Can the sums of forces along x and y ever be negative?

Yes, the sums of forces along x and y can be negative if the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions. This means that the net force in one direction is greater than the net force in the other direction, resulting in a negative sum of forces.