1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2)

1. May 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Expand cos z into a Taylor series about the point z_0 = (pi)/2

With the aid of the identity

cos(z) = -sin(z - pi/2)

2. Relevant equations
    Taylor series expansion for sin

sinu = \sum^{infty}_{n=0} (-1)^n * \frac{u^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}

and the identity as given above

3. The attempt at a solution

I've subbed in -sin(z- pi/2) into the identity my first prob was how to deal with the negative in front of the sin so I've done

u = z-pi/2

-sin(z-(pi/2)) = -(z-(pi/2)) + 1/3! * (z-(pi/2))^3 - 1/5! * (z-(pi/2))^5

So if that is even correct (because I'm not sure about where to put the negative signs... then what does it mean when it says "about the point" z_0 = (pi/2)

How do I sub that in to my answer???

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The Taylor's series of a function 'about' [itex]z_0= \pi/2[/itex] is the series
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{d^n f}{d x^n}(\pi/2)(z- \pi/2)^n[/tex].
    That is, you have powers of [itex]z- \pi/2[/itex] as well as evaluating the derivatives at [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. One method of determining the derivative is to use that definition directly: all derivatives of cos(x) are cos(x), sin(x), -cos(x), -sin(x) and those have values of 0, 1, and -1 at [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

However, you are completely correct that [itex]cos(z)= -sin(z-\pi/2)[/itex]. That means all you need to do is write the Taylor's series for sin(z), which is
    [tex]z- (1/3!)z^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ ((-1)^n/(2n+1)!)z^{2n+1}+\cdot\cdot\dot[/tex]
    Multiply by -1 to get -sin(z):
    [tex]-z+ (1/3!)z^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ ((-1)^{n+1}/(2n+1)!)z^{2n+1}+\cdot\cdot\dot[/tex]
    and finally replace z by [itex]z-\pi/2[/itex]:
    [tex]-(z-\pi/2)+ (1/3!)(z-\pi/2)^3+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ ((-1)^{n+1}/(2n+1)!)(z- \pi/2)^{2n+1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?