Origins and Usage of the Term 'Truck Farm': A Linguistic Analysis

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary: It's hard to say with India although both India, Australia and New Zealand do speak English aligned with British English and the Oxford dictionary.However, slang supercedes any dictionary and it may have evolved to mean something entirely different.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
USA high school textbooks of the 1960's used the terminology "truck farms" to describe economic activity in parts of country. I gather the terminology is still used. Is it used in other English speaking countries?

I visualize a "truck farm" as small farming operation where the owner grows vegetables and takes them to market in a pick-up truck. That's stereotype fits situations in the USA, so I can see how the terminology originated, even if the stereotype isn't the technical definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
It's a small farm where vegetables are grown for the local market. It's use precedes the invention of the everyday pickup truck.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/truck farm

Truck itself can also mean to barter commodities instead of our meaning of truck as a noun for a pickup truck.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/truck

I think Merriam-Webster is a USA company. They may heed what goes on in British English too. My question is whether an educated person in, say, India or New Zealand would use the terminology.

Its hard to say with India although both India, Australia and New Zealand do speak English aligned with British English and the Oxford dictionary.

However, slang supercedes any dictionary and it may have evolved to mean something entirely different.

I did see where in New Zealand there are people called housetruckers who basically convert a truck into a house for living:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housetrucker

and truck farm on wikipedia redirects to market garden:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_garden

Likes Stephen Tashi and Astronuc
Stephen Tashi said:
I think Merriam-Webster is a USA company. They may heed what goes on in British English too. My question is whether an educated person in, say, India or New Zealand would use the terminology.
Never heard the term in my 15 years living in NZ. Could guess the meaning though.

Likes Stephen Tashi and jedishrfu
I have never heard this term in the UK, I suspect it is not used in the Indian subcontinent either.

A small hand operated or horse-drawn vehicle for carrying produce is called a cart in England, and a larger vehicle a wagon. I think local terms are used elsewhere.

Merriam Webster is useless outside North America, Collins is better but you really need an edition of the Oxford Dictionary (Concise or Shorter, or even the OED itself) for British English. These are not available for free.

Likes Stephen Tashi and DrGreg
jedishrfu said:
Truck itself can also mean to barter commodities instead of our meaning of truck as a noun for a pickup truck.
I suspect this is the true origin of 'truck farm' in the US, and although the word is not commonly used today in this sense in England there is the phrase 'I would have no truck with that' (meaning I would have nothing to do with that), and also the 'Truck Acts' which made it illegal to pay workers in tokens which could be exchanged for goods.

Likes hmmm27 and BWV
A truck in time saves nine. Two in the front and seven behind.

A truck is also the ball on the top of a flagpole. -- https://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question98602.html
No, the truck is the bearing that sits underneath the ball. The word is used to describe many similar load bearing items, often running on some kind of track.

I am home later today with access to my COD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jedishrfu
Let me fix that...
A truck is also in the ball on the top of a flagpole. -- https://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question98602.html
pbuk said:
No, the truck is the bearing that sits underneath the ball. The word is used to describe many similar load bearing items, often running on some kind of track.

I am home later today with access to my COD.

jedishrfu said:
A truck in time saves nine. Two in the front and seven behind.
Don't give up your day job...

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and Bystander
Two entries for 'truck' in the Concise Oxford English Dictionery, the first related to vehicles for carrying goods, the second related to trade and barter. The third item in the second entry: "Chiefly US, market garden products especially vegetables". No entry for 'truck farm'. This puts @jedishrfu's post #2 spot on.

Likes Stephen Tashi and jedishrfu
pbuk said:
You really need an edition of the Oxford Dictionary (Concise or Shorter, or even the OED itself) for British English. These are not available for free.
How wrong can I be?
  • Google’s English dictionary is provided by Oxford Languages and can be accessed simply by typing e.g. "define truck" in a google search form - the result is exactly the same as in my . "define truck farm" returns no hits in the dictionary.
  • Lexico offers a free search in "UK English" or "US English" (as well as Spanish) where again the UK English entry matches the COD exactly, and even better Lexico encourages citation e.g. a truck is a large, heavy road vehicle used for carrying goods, materials, or troops[1].
[1] Oxford University Press (2020 Truck. In: Lexico.com, Available at: https://www.lexico.com/definition/truck [Accessed 12 October 2020].

Likes jedishrfu
pbuk said:
I suspect this is the true origin of 'truck farm' in the US, and although the word is not commonly used today in this sense in England there is the phrase 'I would have no truck with that' (meaning I would have nothing to do with that), and also the 'Truck Acts' which made it illegal to pay workers in tokens which could be exchanged for goods.

Hence the famous Adam Smith quote, which was not referring to F150s

This division of labour, from which so many advantages are derived, is not originally the effect of any human wisdom, which foresees and intends that general opulence to which it gives occasion. It is the necessary, though very slow and gradual consequence of a certain propensity in human nature which has in view no such extensive utility; the propensity to truck, barter, and exchange one thing for another. (Wealth of Nations, 1776)

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is a "truck farm" and what does it mean?

A "truck farm" is a term used to describe a small-scale farm that specializes in growing fruits and vegetables for direct sale to consumers or to local markets.

2. How is a truck farm different from a traditional farm?

A truck farm is typically smaller in scale and focuses on growing a variety of high-value crops, whereas traditional farms may be larger and produce a wider range of crops for both local and global markets.

3. What types of crops are typically grown on a truck farm?

Truck farms usually grow a variety of fruits and vegetables that are in high demand, such as tomatoes, strawberries, lettuce, and peppers. They may also grow specialty or niche crops that are not commonly found in grocery stores.

4. How are the crops from a truck farm sold?

Crops from a truck farm are typically sold directly to consumers at farmers' markets, roadside stands, or through community-supported agriculture programs. They may also be sold to local restaurants, grocery stores, or food distributors.

5. What are the benefits of buying from a truck farm?

Buying from a truck farm supports local farmers and the local economy, as well as promotes sustainable farming practices. The produce is often fresher and more flavorful compared to store-bought produce, and consumers can have a direct connection with the farmers who grow their food.