The theory of evolution is wrong!

• Thread starter Rob060870
  • Start date
what is the best argument for evolution you can come up with?

My personal favorite is human chromosome 2 which is quite obviously the result of a merger event of 2 ancient primate chromosomes and is the reason apes have one more chromosome pair than we do. Chromosome 2 also contains a double set of telomeric regions (with one in the middle) as well as two centromeric regions....a smoking gun in my opinion.

The problem BoomBoom is that folks who do not believe in evolution will say that God wanted chimps to have 2 fragments of chromosome 2 (a and b) because that is what He wanted.

The problem BoomBoom is that folks who do not believe in evolution will say that God wanted chimps to have 2 fragments of chromosome 2 (a and b) because that is what He wanted.

The problem is bigger because you can't directly show the evidence to a person. (well most people can't do this.)

As well as good an example it is for evolution it would be tedious to explain fully to a person with limited to no understanding. (I assume this since it's the only way I can see a person rejecting evolution.) I think the best examples of evolution are larger or 'everyday' things which everyone can freely observe.

Dear friend of friend,

What your friend is telling you is that because of his world view he can not accept evolution. This situation is not limited to religious followers, there are atheists as well as other scientist who can not believe in evolution.

All you can really do is present the evidence both modern and ancient, but it's likely he can not see it. Checkmating him would be like trying to checkmate a priest on his belief in god.

If his beliefs are so strong that evolution is wrong, and something ever did convince him, then he really wouldn't be the same person anymore.

If his beliefs are so strong that evolution is wrong, and something ever did convince him, then he really wouldn't be the same person anymore.

It's more like he'd turn into the person he's pretending to be. Namely, a scientist (chemist).

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

A theory can be shown to be in accordance with experience and evidence. That's the only sense in which a theory can be "proven as a fact".

Correct. New evidence could falsify an accepted scientific theory. By definition, science does not exclude that possiblity.

Correct. New evidence could falsify an accepted scientific theory. By definition, science does not exclude that possiblity.

While any theory may appear like conjecture to a layman and is often dismissed in this fashion that is irrelevant when talking about evolution because evolution is not one specific theory.

How can I draw a parralel?

Heres one.

Gravity is accepted. Period. There are many theories about gravity.

Even if the current theories about gravity are contested, revised or dismissed ; the existence of gravity will not be overturned.

While any theory may appear like conjecture to a layman and is often dismissed in this fashion that is irrelevant when talking about evolution because evolution is not one specific theory.

How can I draw a parralel?

Heres one.

Gravity is accepted. Period. There are many theories about gravity.

Even if the current theories about gravity are contested, revised or dismissed ; the existence of gravity will not be overturned.

That's because gravity and evolution are not theories... you can go back a few posts and I made a comparisson to light. Gravity and evolution are phenomena which necessarily means they have been observed aka exist within the definition given. The causes of the phenomena's existence brings about different deductions etc. which are not based directly off of observation, they are theories.

Dear readers. . .
is it possible for ANY theory to be proven?

i believe not,
what do you think?

All scientific theories are "proven." You obviously have no idea what a scientific theory is.

why do people say "the theory of evolution" when it is a fact and not a theory?, i have been mistaken sorry.

Rob060870

why do people say "the theory of gravity" when it is a fact?

Evolution is both a fact and a theory, just like gravity is both a fact and a theory. Again you have no idea what a scientific theory is.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining all of those points to me everyone. I have been mistaken and in future i Will Just ask the question rather than give my misinformed opinion.i Will print off the answers you all have kindly given me and hopefully i can convince my friend! . . I wont hold my breath though!. All the best.

All scientific theories are "proven." You obviously have no idea what a scientific theory is.

How about instead of posting next time you read through the numberous posts that came before yours which explain this properly instead of spreading misinformation followed by attacking the questioner.

amazing that a chemist does not believe in evolution. the simplest example of evolution is viral mutations. i mean, goodness, you cannot get any more simple than that. Look at the influenza season. Also, what about DNA sequence analysis and resulting phylogenic computations?

i agree with the general sentiments on the board, if someone states that they dont believe in evolution, then don't bother trying to convince them because it is clear why they dont believe in evolution (but i am not allowed to say it in fear of being banned). in either case, the chemistry department should fire that person immediately.

my friend actually runs the chemist! so i dont see him being sacked any time soon, i thought about asking him. . . do you also believe that the earth is flat? but i thought better of it!(i didnt want to lose a friend ).
i dont remember him saying why he didnt believe in it. i think i know what your refering to(being banned).
i dont see my friend too often as i live some distance from him but when i do get the chance i will be better armed to try and change his oppinion, i will ask him why he doesnt believe and post his answer on here.
thanks.

Last edited:
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We're not interested in attacking people based on their believes, so you really do not need to post his reply to this forum. The rules are clear: "Discussions that assert the a priori truth or falsity of religious dogmas and belief systems, or value judgments stemming from such religious belief systems, will not be tolerated."