The traveling salesman problem is NP-complete

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP) is NP-complete. This is done by first showing that TSP belongs to NP and then proving that it is NP-hard through a reduction from the Hamiltonian Cycle problem. The reduction involves constructing a new graph and assigning costs to its edges. Ultimately, it is shown that TSP is equivalent to the Hamiltonian Cycle problem, thus proving its NP-completeness.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:The traveling salesman problem is NP-complete.
Proof:
First, we have to prove that TSP belongs to NP. If we want to check a tour for credibility, we check that the tour contains each vertex once. Then we sum the total cost of the edges and finally we check if the cost is minimum. This can be completed in polynomial time thus TSP belongs to NP.
Secondly we prove that TSP is NP-hard. One way to prove this is to show that Hamiltonian cycle TSP (given that the Hamiltonian cycle problem is NP-complete). Assume G = (V, E) to be an instance of Hamiltonian cycle. An instance of TSP is then constructed. We create the complete graph = (V,≤ PG′ E′), where E′ = {(i, j):i, j ∈ V and i ≠ j. Thus, the cost function is defined as:

$$t(i,j)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
0, \text{ if } (i,j) \in E\\
1, \text{ if } (i,j) \notin E
\end{matrix}\right.$$Now suppose that a Hamiltonian cycle h exists in G. It is clear that the cost of each edge in h is 0
in G′ as each edge belongs to E. Therefore, h has a cost of 0 in G′ . Thus, if graph G has a
Hamiltonian cycle then graph G′ has a tour of 0 cost.
Conversely, we assume that G’ has a tour h’ of cost at most 0. The cost of edges in E’ are 0 and 1
by definition. So each edge must have a cost of 0 as the cost of h’ is 0. We conclude that h’
contains only edges in E.
So we have proven that G has a Hamiltonian cycle if and only if G’ has a tour of cost at most 0.
Thus TSP is NP-complete. Could you explain me the reduction?? (Wondering)

Technology news on Phys.org
Sure. The reduction is a process of transforming one problem into another problem with the intention of proving that the two problems are equivalent. In this case, we transform the Hamiltonian Cycle problem (which is known to be NP-complete) into the Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP). We do this by constructing a new graph, G', from the given graph, G. This new graph has the same vertices, V, as the given graph and it has edges between all of these vertices. We then assign a cost to each edge, so that edges in G have a cost of 0 and edges not in G have a cost of 1. Now, if there is a Hamiltonian cycle in the original graph G, then we can construct a tour in G' of cost 0, since the cost of each edge in the Hamiltonian cycle is 0. Conversely, if there is a tour in G' of cost 0, then the only way this can be achieved is if the tour only contains edges in G, meaning that there must be a Hamiltonian cycle in G. Therefore, we have shown that the Hamiltonian Cycle problem is equivalent to the Traveling Salesman Problem, thus demonstrating that TSP is NP-complete.

What is the traveling salesman problem?

The traveling salesman problem (TSP) is a mathematical problem in which a salesman needs to find the shortest possible route to visit a given set of cities and return to the starting city, while visiting each city only once.

What does it mean for the traveling salesman problem to be NP-complete?

NP-complete is a complexity class in computer science that represents the most difficult problems in the class NP. It means that there is no known efficient algorithm to solve the TSP for all instances and the time required to find a solution increases exponentially as the number of cities increases.

Why is the traveling salesman problem important?

The TSP has real-world applications in various fields such as logistics, transportation, and manufacturing. Finding an efficient solution to the TSP can help in optimizing routes and reducing costs for businesses.

Is there any known algorithm to solve the traveling salesman problem?

There is no known algorithm that can solve the TSP for all instances in polynomial time. However, there are various approximation algorithms and heuristics that can provide a near-optimal solution in a reasonable amount of time.

What are some strategies for solving the traveling salesman problem?

Some strategies for solving the TSP include dynamic programming, branch and bound, and genetic algorithms. These approaches use different techniques to find a solution that is close to the optimal solution, but may not always guarantee the shortest possible route.