1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The union of graph G(f) with this other set ?

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    A first year real analysis textbook presents the following two definitions (where the second builds off the first.

(1) Definition (Graph of a map)

A and B are sets and [itex]f : A \rightarrow B [/itex] is some map. Then we define the graph of [itex]f[/itex] by [tex]G(f) := \{(x,f(x)) \in A \times B : x \in A\}[/tex].

(2) Other definition

A and B are sets and [itex]f : A \rightarrow B [/itex] is some map. Further, define for every [itex]y \in B[/itex] the corresponding intersection [itex]G_{fy}[/itex] by [tex]G_{fy} := G(f) \cap \{(x,y) : x \in A\}[/tex].

(This then proceeds into a theorem about bijections).

1. The problem I'm having
    I completely understand (1) and all notation employed in both (1) and (2). However, I don't understand what (2) is trying to communicate ... It seems to me that [itex]G_{fy} = G(f)[/itex] based on my interpretation of (2), making [itex]G_{fy}[/itex] superfluous.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2
    Sorry... I finally figured it out after I posted. [itex]f(x) \in image(f) [/itex], [itex]y \in B[/itex] and image(f) is not necessarily equal to B.

Feel free to delete.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook