The union of graph G(f) with this other set ?

In summary, the first year real analysis textbook defines the graph of a map as G(f) := {(x,f(x)) \in A \times B : x \in A} and then further defines G_{fy} as G(f) \cap \{(x,y) : x \in A\}. This definition leads to a theorem about bijections. However, the second definition is causing confusion as it seems to be just a restatement of the first. After some thought, the individual realizes that G_{fy} is not necessarily equal to G(f) because y may not be in the image of f.
operationsres
A first year real analysis textbook presents the following two definitions (where the second builds off the first.

(1) Definition (Graph of a map)

A and B are sets and [itex]f : A \rightarrow B [/itex] is some map. Then we define the graph of [itex]f[/itex] by [tex]G(f) := \{(x,f(x)) \in A \times B : x \in A\}[/tex].(2) Other definition

A and B are sets and [itex]f : A \rightarrow B [/itex] is some map. Further, define for every [itex]y \in B[/itex] the corresponding intersection [itex]G_{fy}[/itex] by [tex]G_{fy} := G(f) \cap \{(x,y) : x \in A\}[/tex].

(This then proceeds into a theorem about bijections).

1. The problem I'm having
I completely understand (1) and all notation employed in both (1) and (2). However, I don't understand what (2) is trying to communicate ... It seems to me that [itex]G_{fy} = G(f)[/itex] based on my interpretation of (2), making [itex]G_{fy}[/itex] superfluous.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry... I finally figured it out after I posted. [itex]f(x) \in image(f) [/itex], [itex]y \in B[/itex] and image(f) is not necessarily equal to B.

Feel free to delete.

1. What is the definition of the union of graph G(f) with another set?

The union of graph G(f) with another set is a mathematical operation that combines the elements of both sets into a single set. It includes all the elements from G(f) and the other set without duplicates.

2. How is the union of graph G(f) with another set denoted?

The union of graph G(f) with another set is denoted by the symbol ∪ (union symbol) between the two sets.

3. What is the difference between the union of two sets and the intersection of two sets?

The union of two sets includes all the elements from both sets, while the intersection of two sets only includes the elements that are common to both sets.

4. Can the union of graph G(f) with another set have duplicate elements?

No, the union of graph G(f) with another set does not include duplicate elements. It only includes each element once.

5. What are some real-life applications of the union of graph G(f) with another set?

The union of graph G(f) with another set is commonly used in data science, specifically in combining and merging different data sets. It is also used in probability and statistics to determine the likelihood of outcomes by combining different events.