1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The voltage across a voltmeter Olymp 09

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1402164069.874746.jpg

The question I'm asking about is Olymp 09

My attempt : 2.36 V

Vb1 / (R + r1 + r2) = 2 / 2.5 = 0.8 A
    Vb2 / (R + r1 + r2) = 5 / 2.5 = 2 A

The reading of the voltmeter = the voltage across r1 + the voltage across r2 and R = (0.8)(2.2) + (2)(0.3)
    = 2.36 V

I'm not sure of my answer, and even if it's correct I'm not completely convinced how is my solution is right.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The voltmeter sits across a 2V battery. What do you suppose it will read?

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Not 2 V, as we have to consider the internal resistances.

@ElmorshedyDr: What is meant with "in the opposite circuit [...]"?
    I don't understand your approach to convert those currents to voltages across the 0.3 Ohm resistor.

5. Jun 7, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. Didn't see that.

6. Jun 8, 2014 #5
    So the answer is voltmeter reading = VB + V across the internal resistance = 2 + (1.2)(0.3) = 2.36 V ??

7. Jun 8, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.

8. Jun 8, 2014 #7

NascentOxygen

Your working is basically correct, but your technique is not what I was expecting. Can you explain the method you have used?

9. Jun 8, 2014 #8

But I'm still confused, why can't we just calculate the total voltage and the total resistance and then find the total current ad multiply it by the internal resistance of B1 to find the reading, since it is connected in parallel with internal resistance of the battery which would be 0.36V

10. Jun 8, 2014 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Sure, and the result is the same.

11. Jun 8, 2014 #10

NascentOxygen

That can't be correct because the voltmeter is not connected directly across the internal resistance of the battery. The voltmeter reading is the sum of two voltages---you can see how it also captures the battery's EMF.

The best we can do is use the voltmeter to measure the terminal voltage of the battery, which means it's the scalar addition of two potentials that we measure here.

I'm stll interested in your explanation of the first method you showed. It is correct, BTW.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted