Understanding the Why of Pauli Exclusion

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pauli
In summary, the Pauli Exclusion principle follows from the antisymmetry of fermions wave functions, which is a consequence of the spin-statistics theorem. This theorem is based on Lorentz invariance and other assumptions, and there are no ultimate justifications in physics. The best explanation for the principle is to understand the symmetry under exchange of particles, which leads to the conclusion that particles must either be Bosons or Fermions.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I'm studying fermions with one of Leonard Susskind's video courses. The Pauli Exclusion principle seems odd and counterintuitive.

My question is this, if I learn enough quantum theory will I learn why Pauli Exclusion exists; not just how it works? Does the Pauli Exclusion principle pop out as a consequence of fundamental equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes actually. It is a natural consequence of fermionic wavefunctions needing to be antisymmetric with respect to particle interchange. The connection between fermions and antisymmetric wavefunctions is a bit more advanced than I can speak about though.

My question is this, if I learn enough quantum theory will I learn why Pauli Exclusion exists; not just how it works? Does the Pauli Exclusion principle pop out as a consequence of fundamental equations?
yes,you will learn it.the requirement is that if fermions will not obey pauli exclusion principle,then the used fermi dirac statistics will not hold for them.As a result there will not be any minimum energy state.For bosons,not using bose statistics will give noncommutativity of observables separated by space like distance.

No, you will never learn why xyz is true ...

The Pauli principle "no two fermions can occupy identical quantum states" follows from the antisymmetry of fermions wave functions, which follows from the spin-statistics theorem, which follows from Lorentz invariance and some other assumptions (there are some exotic counteraxemples which become important when some assumptions do no longer apply!), which follow from ...

The are no ultimate justifications in physics.

Anyway - it makes sense to start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin-statistics_theorem

tom.stoer said:

The Pauli principle "no two fermions can occupy identical quantum states" follows from the antisymmetry of fermions wave functions, which follows from the spin-statistics theorem, which follows from Lorentz invariance and some other assumptions (there are some exotic counteraxemples which become important when some assumptions do no longer apply!), which follow from ...

Anyway - it makes sense to start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin-statistics_theorem

Uh oh, it sounds like "Nothing but turtles all the way down."

Thanks everyone.

anorlunda said:
Uh oh, it sounds like "Nothing but turtles all the way down."
in some sense this is the conclusion; if you agree with the assumptions of the spin-statistics theorem and believe in them as fundamental axioms, then you have your just justification; but if you start to question then it's the quest for the next turtle ...

tom.stoer said:

Well, less complicated than the spin-statistics theorem is to understand the fact that there should be symmetry under an exchange of particles. I don't remember the argument in full, but it went something like this...

If [itex]\Psi(x_1, x_2)[/itex] is the probability amplitude for particle 1 to be at position [itex]x_1[/itex] and particle 2 to be at position [itex]x_2[/itex], then, since particles of the same type are indistinguishable, we know that

[itex]\Psi(x_1, x_2)[/itex] and [itex]\Psi(x_2, x_1)[/itex]

have the same physical content. That doesn't mean that they are equal, because wave functions have an arbitrary phase associated that doesn't make any observable difference. So switching two identical particles could possibly introduce a phase change. So we write:

[itex]\Psi(x_1, x_2) = e^{i \alpha} \Psi(x_2, x_1)[/itex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a phase difference. Now, we can reason that if we switched the particles again, we have to get exactly back to where we started. So we reason that:

[itex]\Psi(x_1, x_2) = e^{2 i \alpha} \Psi(x_1, x_2)[/itex]

which implies that

[itex]e^{2 i \alpha} = 1[/itex]

So [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex] or [itex]\pi[/itex].

This is from memory, so there might be some subtle points that I've forgotten, but something along this lines is supposed to show that particles must either be Bosons (exchanging two identical ones makes no difference) or Fermions (exchanging two identical ones changes the sign of the wave function).

Yes, in principle this is right - provided that we believe in indistinguishable particles and some other subtleties ruling out anyons, ghosts and things like that

Last edited:

1. What is the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that in an atom, no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers.

2. Why is the Pauli Exclusion Principle important?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is important because it helps to explain the stability and properties of matter at the atomic level. It also plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of atoms, which is essential in understanding chemical bonding and the periodic table of elements.

3. How was the Pauli Exclusion Principle discovered?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle was first proposed by Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925. He noticed that certain elements had very similar spectral lines, and he suggested that this was due to the exclusion of electrons with the same quantum numbers. This was later confirmed by experiments and is now a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

4. What are some practical applications of the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and nuclear physics. It is used to explain the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, which is crucial in understanding chemical reactions and properties of materials. It also plays a role in predicting the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators and nuclear reactions.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

There are some exceptions to the Pauli Exclusion Principle, such as in the case of superconductors and superfluids. In these systems, electrons can pair up and occupy the same quantum state, defying the principle. However, these exceptions occur under specific conditions and do not violate the principle in general.