Theoretical Question On The Twins Paradox and Heart Rate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 4K views
PeterDonis said:
What do you mean by ##\gamma \textbf{u}##?
What I mean is, if you start with, say, a coordinate of some moving object, (cdt, dx), ignoring the y and z directions, of course, and then divide by proper time, written as ## \frac{dt}{\gamma\ }## , you get (##\gamma \textbf{c}##, ##\gamma\ u_x##), so that second coordinate, the speed times gamma, is what I mean by ##\gamma \textbf{u}## .

So, if you multiply by invariant mass it becomes γmu, then if you take the time derivative, and then integrate over distance (after doing some manipulations with the differentials and integrating from 0 to u), you end up with a result that is identical to the relativistic kinetic energy equation.

So that's what I meant by all that. I don't know if it's mere coincidence or not, but it seems interesting to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorcerer said:
then divide by proper time, written as ##\frac{dt}{\gamma\ }##

I think you mean ##\frac{dt}{d\tau}##. The 4-velocity vector's components are

$$
U^\mu = \left( \frac{dt}{d\tau}, \frac{d \textbf{x}}{d\tau} \right) = \left( \gamma, \gamma \textbf{v} \right)
$$

(in units where ##c = 1##). Multiplying by the invariant mass ##m## then gives the 4-momentum ##P^\mu##.
 
PeterDonis said:
I think you mean ##\frac{dt}{d\tau}##. The 4-velocity vector's components are

$$
U^\mu = \left( \frac{dt}{d\tau}, \frac{d \textbf{x}}{d\tau} \right) = \left( \gamma, \gamma \textbf{v} \right)
$$

(in units where ##c = 1##). Multiplying by the invariant mass ##m## then gives the 4-momentum ##P^\mu##.
Well, as I understand it, ##\frac{dt}{d\tau}## = γ, hence proper time must be ##\frac{dt}{γ}## . So dividing dx by that will give ##\frac{dx}{\frac{dt}{γ}}## which is ##γ\frac{dx}{dt}##, or ##γu## .But yeah the net result is exactly what you put there. I guess it is indeed a 4-velocity, except I'm ignoring y and z.

So why does that look the same as celerity? Is celerity exactly what the spatial components of 4-velocity are?
 
Sorcerer said:
as I understand it, dtdτdtdτ\frac{dt}{d\tau} = γ, hence proper time must be ##\frac{dt}{γ}## .

If you want to treat differentials that way (which would give many rigorous mathematicians apoplexy, although most physicists wouldn't bat an eye), then yes, you can write ##d\tau = dt / \gamma##.

Sorcerer said:
So dividing dx by that will give ##\frac{dx}{\frac{dt}{γ}}## which is ##\gamma \frac{dx}{dt}##, or ##\gamma u## .

Yes, which is what @DrGreg was calling ##\gamma \textbf{v}##, as I said before (and that's how I wrote it in my post).

Sorcerer said:
So why does that look the same as celerity?

Because, as @DrGreg posted, celerity is equal to ##\gamma \textbf{v}##.