Can a Homeless Man's 'God-Given Voice' Change His Life Forever?

• Thread starter DevilsAvocado
  • Start date
In summary, Ted Williams, a homeless man who had a "God-given voice," was discovered by a reporter and has now been employed full-time by the Cleveland Cavaliers. Although the man's story is inspiring, there are some doubts about his ability to stay sober and his potential to ruin his second chance.
DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
I don’t believe in god, but I do believe in this man.
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsvt.se%2F2.58360%2F1.2288641%2Futskriftsvanligt_format%3Fprinterfriendly%3Dtrue"

The U.S. has a homeless man got a second chance after a reporter in Ohio discovered his voice and put a video on Youtube.

Ted Williams, 53, worked previously as a radio presenter, but his life wrecked by years of drinking and drug abuse. After ten years on the street, he started to make sense of life.

Detection of reporter
There was a reporter who discovered Williams as he stood beside the road and held up a sign. The plaque had Williams wrote that he had a "God-given voice" and asked for help.

When the reporter heard the Williams voice amazed him and put out a video on Youtube with the former radio announcer.

Full-time
The clip was a success, Williams has now been a full time job as a presenter for the basketball team the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"I feel like Susan Boyle and Justin Bieber," said Ted Williams to the Columbus Dispatch, the newspaper that discovered him. Boyle and Bieber are other phenomena that have become large, partly because of Youtube.

Williams is recovering after two years and have now visited his mother for the first time in twenty years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPFvLUWkzs

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DevilsAvocado said:
I don’t believe in god, but I do believe in this man.
The reporter for making the video? The guy can't get credit just because of his voice.

Evo said:
The reporter for making the video? The guy can't get credit just because of his voice.

...no Evo... Ted Williams, the man who has been living on the street (drugs+alcohol) for +10 years and still are able to get a grip on his life...

What does this give you hope of? That it's possible to ruin your life despite having been born with a skill people are willing to pay money to utilize?

I don't think this is the hopeful/inspiring story you're looking for.

The man isn't even really off alcohol. He's just a guy that got lucky by having his story go viral. That's the extent of it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/12/2011-01-12_ted_williams_homeless_man_with_golden_voice_on_his_los_angeles_arrest_my_daughte.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
What does this give you hope of? That it's possible to ruin your life despite having been born with a skill people are willing to pay money to utilize?

I don't think this is the hopeful/inspiring story you're looking for.

Well, it’s a free world and you are free to have any thoughts about this.

I on the other hand, do think it’s a good thing that a homeless drug addict gets a second chance at +50, and it seem like many of the 7,995,798 YouTube viewers have similar feelings.

DevilsAvocado said:
and it seem like many of the 7,995,798 YouTube viewers have similar feelings.
Or idle curiosity. The man is an alcoholic with serious problems. He didn't actually make an effort to change his life. Maybe he will, but just because he got lucky doesn't inspire me.

Another lesson you can take from this: no matter how promising your life is, how gifted you are, it is possible to ruin everything by abusing drugs and alcohol.

Oh wait, I learned that already from Brittney Spears!

Jimmy Snyder said:
The man isn't even really off alcohol.
Uh oh, that teaches me that as long as you're gifted enough, people will keep giving you "second" chances you don't deserve.

Oh wait, I already learned that from Brittney Spears too!

Williams has been given a second chance. It is up to him do make good on it. Whether this story is inspirational has yet to be determined. It will be interesting to see what happens. This guy has been handed the golden goose. Can Dr. Phil and Hollywood's best [pun intended] help to reform this man? Personally, I doubt it. On the other hand, if he's already kicked a serious drug problem while living on the streets, he may still have a lot going for him. That is quite an achievement.

As far as judging him, I think pity is far more appropriate. More than not, I don't think people like this can help themselves. No one in their right mind wants to become a drug addict, lose everything, and live on the streets.

There was a show on recently about moms who were duped into using meth for weight loss. I was struck by one woman who said that she was a happy, overweight mom, who loved her life, her husband, and her kids. She started using meth, and according to her, within a week she would have sold her kids for a fix. Addiction is a terribly powerful demon.

Last edited:
His story shows just how awesome america is, imo, one day your homeless the next you are famous, if you have skill and the people support you. If snooky can be famous, why can't this guy? If I remember right he is now in rehab, so he is a celebrity, isn't that what all celebs do, yes russ even brittney.

DevilsAvocado said:
Well, it’s a free world and you are free to have any thoughts about this.

I on the other hand, do think it’s a good thing that a homeless drug addict gets a second chance at +50, and it seem like many of the 7,995,798 YouTube viewers have similar feelings.
DA, just to insert a little buffer between you and the critics of your sentiment on this, I think you posted this for the best of reasons, and I'm rooting for the guy, but I also think that the comments of the critics in this thread are justifiable and that their points might be well taken. Ok, I guess that wasn't much of a buffer.

What might one learn from this? I'm not really sure, other than Ted's hair. Don't do that unless you're auditioning for a Robert Rodriguez movie.

Last edited:
There's always hope, but the hope is that someday he kicks his drug and alcohol habit.

Regardless, if there's any heroes in this story, it's the people that had to take care of the problems Williams left behind during the majority of his life. Behind golden-voiced Ted Williams is ex-wife Patricia Kirtley, the story's real hero

Apparently, the homeless gig works better for some than for others: Homeless Advocates Not Laughing at Vicki Lawrence's Ted Williams Parody

I love the comments of Aaron Reddin, who has been running homeless shelters in Little Rock, Arkansas:

Reddin said:
She should note that mac 'n cheese is actually pretty popular on the streets. It's cheap, quick and easily made, not to mention it provides plenty of carbs to keep the body going in the elements.

So, not only is she old and washed up but she's also out of touch with reality. Wait, that's because of that old part, right? Or was she always? I don't know. And I'm far too young to give a damn.

On the other hand, Williams is only about 10 years older than Bush was when Bush gave up alcohol. Now Bush is a much more valid story of hope about how one can turn their life around just by giving up alcohol and drugs.

russ_watters said:
Uh oh, that teaches me that as long as you're gifted enough, people will keep giving you "second" chances you don't deserve.

I agree, but for the life of me I can't think of a single way that Spears is gifted other than being white and born in a wealthy nation. Her voice and her face sure aren't it...

This is a simple positive story: one less homeless man. If it inspires or makes people happy, I don't have anything against it. Being happy or getting inspired from little things is also a positive thing.

If you want to over-analyze it why not include crime rate also in the analysis which is directly linked to how many poor/homeless people you have?

I'd say somewhere between Jasongreat and ThomasT's comments is the reason DA posted this. I'm personally not inspired, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate that it pleases others. Even if this ends badly for this one man, it may inspire others to avoid the promise of instant fame based on a single talent.

The man was homeless for 10 years, and he's not homeless now... that's an improvement, even if it isn't solving the national debt.

rootX said:
This is a simple positive story: one less homeless man. If it inspires or makes people happy, I don't have anything against it. Being happy or getting inspired from little things is also a positive thing.

If you want to over-analyze it why not include crime rate also in the analysis which is directly linked to how many poor/homeless people you have?

re bolded: Is that causal or indicative?

russ_watters said:
Oh wait, I learned that already from Brittney Spears!

russ_watters said:

russ... I don’t know if there is something wrong with my browser... but all I see in your posts is the vast space of gray emptiness...??

Ivan Seeking said:
Williams has been given a second chance. It is up to him do make good on it. Whether this story is inspirational has yet to be determined. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Agree, as for the "inspirational stuff", check out next posts.

Ivan Seeking said:
This guy has been handed the golden goose. Can Dr. Phil and Hollywood's best [pun intended] help to reform this man? Personally, I doubt it. On the other hand, if he's already kicked a serious drug problem while living on the streets, he may still have a lot going for him. That is quite an achievement.

True, he made that crucial step alone, to make a decision, to get out of the mess he created. If a drug addict doesn’t have that strong wish for a real change, you can put any "Dr. Phil" on him/her and it won’t work anyway. The question is – What happens to person that has this will and then he winds up in "Snorting Hollywood"...? I don’t know... I just hope he makes it...

Ivan Seeking said:
As far as judging him, I think pity is far more appropriate. More than not, I don't think people like this can help themselves. No one in their right mind wants to become a drug addict, lose everything, and live on the streets.

Yes, absolutely right. Very few people make a deliberate decision – Hey! I’m going to totally drop out! Yeah cool! (well... maybe in the 60's... turn on, tune in, freak out... :smile:). There is no 'vaccination' for troubles, failures, accidents, divorces, unemployment, bankruptcy, etc; it could happen to anyone. What I can’t understand is how some in this thread seems to be convinced they don’t deserve a second chance?? That smells like brown shirts in the 30's to me...

As for the "wish for a change"; of course everyone has it, but most has gone too far in the "swamp of misery" – they just don’t have the strength to do it. Their existence is a never ending struggle for that "next fix"...

Ivan Seeking said:
There was a show on recently about moms who were duped into using meth for weight loss. I was struck by one woman who said that she was a happy, overweight mom, who loved her life, her husband, and her kids. She started using meth, and according to her, within a week she would have sold her kids for a fix. Addiction is a terribly powerful demon.

Totally weird. :grumpy: Where does this fixation on food and weight come from?? Take a 30 min fast walk everyday and all the "problems" are gone, for god’s sake!

Jasongreat said:
His story shows just how awesome america is, imo, one day your homeless the next you are famous,

Yup, you have the best and worst of everything over there... :wink:

Seriously, I hope he can stay away from "fame" as much as possible.

ThomasT said:
DA, just to insert a little buffer between you and the critics of your sentiment on this, I think you posted this for the best of reasons, and I'm rooting for the guy

I suspect I have pushed that "Lost in Translation" button again... and I think it’s the words "I do believe" in my OP that messes things up. I know that the "believing business" is a whole different enchilada over there... I’m not hearing gospel choirs and watching the angels dancing over this matter. :smile: I just thought this guy deserves all the luck he can have, and that this was a good thing that happened, as maybe a 'counterweight' to all the other mess, with a nutcase killing a little girl + 5 others innocent + injuring a representative for democracy.

It’s totally above my understanding how this could be a BAD thing... :bugeye:

ThomasT said:
but I also think that the comments of the critics in this thread are justifiable and that their points might be well taken. Ok, I guess that wasn't much of a buffer.

Agree. :grumpy: (:smile:)

ThomasT said:
What might one learn from this? I'm not really sure, other than Ted's hair. Don't do that unless you're auditioning for a Robert Rodriguez movie.

I know exactly what you are talking about. In the early 80's I recovered from a severe car abuse. They saved me by hiding the car keys in my hair. Could never be found again...

2mpe4v5.jpg

:biggrin:

BobG said:
There's always hope, but the hope is that someday he kicks his drug and alcohol habit.

True. AFAICT he has been clean for 2 years. Don’t know if he had a relapse... And yes, the relatives always suffer most in cases like this.

nismaratwork said:
I'd say somewhere between Jasongreat and ThomasT's comments is the reason DA posted this.

As always, you read my mind buddy. :smile: Thanks.

DevilsAvocado said:
As always, you read my mind buddy. :smile: Thanks.

Anytime... and um... neat hair! :biggrin:

DevilsAvocado said:
2mpe4v5.jpg

:biggrin:
I fear that there's more than just keys hiding in THAT hair. High creature hair. I like it.

Re Ted, though it's often better to be lucky than good, it's not a good long term strategy. He'll only have won (for him) the jackpot if he stays sober, which is a matter of learning and applying some well known behavior modification principles.

ThomasT said:
I fear that there's more than just keys hiding in THAT hair. High creature hair. I like it.

Re Ted, though it's often better to be lucky than good, it's not a good long term strategy. He'll only have won (for him) the jackpot if he stays sober, which is a matter of learning and applying some well known behavior modification principles.

*tweet* What do you mean more than keys? Birds:?! NO BIRDS THERE!

Certainly not a pound of marijuana, a key of cocaine and A VOLKSWAGEN!

I did big hair once, but that's... glorious.

edit: About your Ted point: Yep... he's lucky to get this chance... truly purely lucky. The error is in people expecting a man who's been on the streets for 10 years, and probably an addict far longer, can even BEGIN to get healthy in a few days. He'll be years on the mend, BUT...

He's not on the streets.
He has the goodwill of more people than most
He has the cynical, but very real support of Dr. Phil et al, who stand to make money if he succeeds long-term.

DevilsAvocado said:
2mpe4v5.jpg

Not Half-Mackerel,

WHOLLY MACKEREL!

Not vast, half-vast.

What does "There is always hope, folks" mean?

"There is always hope, folks" is a phrase that reminds us that no matter how difficult a situation may seem, there is always a chance for things to improve. It encourages us to have a positive outlook and not give up, even in the face of challenges.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of "There is always hope, folks"?

While the phrase itself may not have a specific scientific basis, there are numerous studies that show the benefits of having a positive mindset and remaining hopeful in difficult situations. Studies have shown that optimism can improve physical and mental health, increase resilience, and lead to better problem-solving skills.

What are some practical ways to maintain hope in challenging situations?

One way to maintain hope is to focus on the present moment and what you can control. This can help to reduce feelings of overwhelm and helplessness. It can also be helpful to seek support from others, whether it's from friends and family or a therapist. Engaging in self-care activities, such as exercise or mindfulness, can also help to boost hope and resilience.

Can hope be learned or developed?

Yes, hope can be learned and developed. While some people may naturally have a more optimistic outlook, everyone has the ability to cultivate hope. This can be done through practicing positive self-talk, setting achievable goals, and reframing negative thoughts. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a therapist or participate in a support group.

How does hope impact our overall well-being?

Research has shown that hope can have a positive impact on our overall well-being. It has been linked to better coping skills, improved mental and physical health, and a higher quality of life. Having hope can also help us to persevere through difficult times and maintain a sense of purpose and meaning in our lives.