Thermal Conductivity of an Infinite Thin Plate with a heater on it

Modified_Bessel_functions:_I.E2.80.93K "In summary, an engineering problem is being discussed where a source of heat is thermally coupled to a steel box with known thermal conductivity and thickness. Air flow and heat transfer coefficients are also known. The problem is being modeled as an infinite thin plate with a heated circular hole, and equations from a book by Remsburg are being used. Two constants, K_0 and K_1, are not explained in the book, but are presumed to be important in solving for the temperature of the source in steady state. The author suggests using Bessel or Hankel functions, specifically the modified Bessel functions I and K, and recommends checking a table of function values for further clarification
kuba

Homework Statement

It's not a homework problem, but an engineering problem I try to solve before I delve into experimentation :smile:

I have a source of heat (SSR - a solid state relay) that's well thermally coupled to the inside of a steel box. The thermal resistance between the SSR and the box is to be ignored. The SSR has constant power. The steel box has simple rectangular sides and air is flowing in it. It is much larger than the SSR.

Known are:

[tex]q[/tex] - the power generated by the SSR,
[tex]k[/tex] - thermal conductivity of the material the box is made of,
[tex]\delta[/tex] - the thickness of the material.

I know that there's some air flow above the metal surface inside of the box, so that the heat transfer coefficients of the top/bottom of the plate are known. I ignore heat transfer between the SSR and the air, heat only goes SSR to the box, then BOX to air in it. Outside of the box is assumed to be insulated (negligible heat transfer).

I've decided to model this as an infinite thin plate with heated circular hole.

So, known are also:

[tex]h_1[/tex] - the heat transfer coeffcient of the top of the plate (where the SSR resides, and where there's airflow),
[tex]h_2[/tex] - the heat transfer coefficient of the bottom of the plate,
[tex]T_1[/tex] - temperature of the air on top of the plate,
[tex]T_2[/tex] - temperature of the air on the bottom of the plate.

I need to know the temperature [tex]T[/tex] of the SSR in steady state. I only need to know rough estimate for feasibility determination, it will be tested afterwards of course.

Homework Equations

From the horrible Remsburg's "Thermal Design of Electronic Equipment" :yuck:, I've got the equations that follow.

[tex]\frac{k \delta \Delta_{T-T_\infty}}{q} = \frac{K_0(\frac{Br}{\delta})}{2\pi(\frac{Br_1}{\delta})K_1(\frac{Br_1}{\delta})}[/tex]

where

[tex]r_1[/tex] is the radius of the hole (modelling the SSR in contact with the plate),
[tex]r[/tex] is the distance from the hole to the point of interest,
[tex]B=\sqrt{Bi_1+Bi_2}[/tex],
[tex]T_\infty=\frac{T_1+HT_2}{1+H}[/tex],
[tex]H=\frac{Bi_1}{Bi_2}[/tex],

where

[tex]Bi[/tex] is the Biot Number. In the case of a plate, for either top or bottom surface, it is [tex]Bi_i=h_i\delta/k[/tex]

They don't explain two constants there -- [tex]K_0[/tex] and [tex]K_1[/tex] -- what are they?

The Attempt at a Solution

I already chose the model (infinite thin plate with a hole), I only need to know how to apply the equations given above. The book author (Remsburg) gives no hints as to what [tex]K_0[/tex] and [tex]K_1[/tex] are in the equation above.

Solving for SSR temperature rise, I presume I can set [tex]r=r_1[/tex], such that a lot of the equation vanishes:

[tex]\frac{k \delta \Delta_{T-T_\infty}}{q} = \frac{K_0}{2\pi K_1}[/tex]

The [tex]K_0[/tex] and [tex]K_1[/tex] look pretty important here :smile:

Any hints? The Remsburg book is nearly useless, it presents bunches of equations with little explanation and no examples, it's a recipe for disaster more than anything. But that's what I've found in our library. Any recommendations for another book where conduction in thin plates with heat sources is addressed (in forms of ready equations)? Or better yet, a clue as to what those K's are?

Kuba

Physics news on Phys.org
K_0 and K_1 are almost certainly some sort of Bessel or Hankel functions.

But I'm not going to guess exactly which sort, because IIRC not everybody uses the same notation for them.

Is there a table of the standard notations used in the book? A table of the function values would be even better of course.

Update: The Wikipedia definitions look like ones you want: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function

Last edited:

I would suggest looking for additional resources or consulting with a colleague who has experience in this area. The equations provided in the Remsburg book may not be sufficient for solving this problem, as they are not clearly explained and lack examples. It may also be helpful to reach out to experts in the field of thermal conductivity or heat transfer for guidance.

In terms of the K_0 and K_1 constants, it is possible that they are specific to the Remsburg book and may not have a standard meaning. It would be best to clarify this with the author or another expert in the field. Alternatively, you could try searching for similar equations in other resources or conducting your own experiments to determine the values of these constants.

Overall, it is important to thoroughly understand the equations and assumptions being made in order to accurately solve this problem. I would recommend seeking additional resources and guidance to ensure a successful solution.

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is defined as the amount of heat that passes through a material of unit thickness and unit area, per unit time, when there is a temperature difference of one degree between the two sides of the material.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This device consists of two plates, one heated and one cooled, with the material being tested sandwiched between them. The heat flow through the material is then measured and used to calculate its thermal conductivity.

3. What factors affect the thermal conductivity of a material?

The thermal conductivity of a material is affected by its composition, density, and temperature. Materials with a higher thermal conductivity tend to be more dense and have a lower specific heat capacity. Additionally, materials with a higher thermal conductivity tend to be better conductors of electricity as well.

4. How does a heater affect the thermal conductivity of an infinite thin plate?

A heater on an infinite thin plate will increase the temperature of the plate, which will in turn increase its thermal conductivity. This is because as the temperature increases, the molecules in the material move faster and collide more frequently, allowing heat to be transferred more easily. Additionally, the heater itself may have a higher thermal conductivity, further increasing the overall thermal conductivity of the system.

5. Why is the thermal conductivity of an infinite thin plate important?

The thermal conductivity of a material is important because it can affect how well that material is able to transfer heat. In the case of an infinite thin plate with a heater, the thermal conductivity will determine how quickly and efficiently the heat from the heater is transferred throughout the plate. This is important in many applications, such as in thermal insulation or in the design of electronic devices.