Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship

In summary: After really thinking about this, I never put two and two together that I could just use the saturated steam tables.
tanky322
I'm starting a Thermal Design course this semester and I need to come up with some type of thermal based design project. I came up with one idea, but I am trying to determine its feasibility, which is not proving to be very easy.

I have been trying to find the correlation between pressure, volume and temperature of a liquid in a closed container. So basically, I would have a container completely filled with a liquid (water). Then I would heat the container, which would cause the liquid to expand thus giving me a change in pressure in the container.

What is the proper method to calculate the change in pressure? I'm assuming that the container is non-deformable.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
After really thinking about this, I never put two and two together that I could just use the saturated steam tables.

Does anyone have any useful ideas that I could use as a design project? The only requirement is that it cannot be purely theoretical, some type of model must be built.

Thanks

tanky322 said:
After really thinking about this, I never put two and two together that I could just use the saturated steam tables.
You would not use saturated steam tables; you would use the compressed water tables and assume constant specific volume due to the rigid container, while varying the temperature. Then interpolate the pressure.

Does anyone have any useful ideas that I could use as a design project? The only requirement is that it cannot be purely theoretical, some type of model must be built.
What sort of material have you already covered? What equipment do you have access to? Doing something with the Joule-Thomson effect would be interesting and not too difficult. Maybe experimentally verify the coefficient for differing conditions or for different gases.

We have covered the basic modes of heat conduction, Conduction, convection, radiation etc, also we did a good deal on heat exchanger design. I would say pretty much the basics of heat transfer.

Equipment wise I have access to a variety of equipment. CNC mills and lathes and various different testing equipment etc. Manufacturing the project should not be much of an issue.

Thanks

1. What is the "Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship"?

The Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship refers to the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a liquid in a thermal system. It is used to determine the behavior of a liquid under different pressure and temperature conditions, and is crucial in designing efficient thermal systems.

2. Why is understanding the Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship important?

Understanding the Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict the behavior of a liquid in a thermal system. This is essential in designing efficient and effective thermal systems, such as refrigeration systems, heat exchangers, and power plants.

3. How is the Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship determined?

The Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship is determined through experiments and calculations using the gas laws, specifically the Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. These laws relate the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas or liquid to each other, and can be used to determine the PVT relationship.

4. What factors can affect the Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship?

The Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship can be affected by factors such as the type of liquid, the composition of the liquid, the temperature and pressure conditions, and the presence of other substances in the system. It is important to consider these factors when designing a thermal system to ensure accurate predictions of the PVT relationship.

5. How is the Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship used in practical applications?

The Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship is used in practical applications such as refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and chemical processes. By understanding the PVT relationship, engineers can design more efficient and reliable systems, leading to cost savings and improved performance.