Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Design Liquid PVT Relationship

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    I'm starting a Thermal Design course this semester and I need to come up with some type of thermal based design project. I came up with one idea, but im trying to determine its feasibility, which is not proving to be very easy.

I have been trying to find the correlation between pressure, volume and temperature of a liquid in a closed container. So basically, I would have a container completely filled with a liquid (water). Then I would heat the container, which would cause the liquid to expand thus giving me a change in pressure in the container.

What is the proper method to calculate the change in pressure? I'm assuming that the container is non-deformable.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2
    After really thinking about this, I never put two and two together that I could just use the saturated steam tables.

Does anyone have any useful ideas that I could use as a design project? The only requirement is that it cannot be purely theoretical, some type of model must be built.

Thanks

4. Jan 23, 2010 #3

You would not use saturated steam tables; you would use the compressed water tables and assume constant specific volume due to the rigid container, while varying the temperature. Then interpolate the pressure.

What sort of material have you already covered? What equipment do you have access to? Doing something with the Joule-Thomson effect would be interesting and not too difficult. Maybe experimentally verify the coefficient for differing conditions or for different gases.

5. Jan 23, 2010 #4
    We have covered the basic modes of heat conduction, Conduction, convection, radiation etc, also we did a good deal on heat exchanger design. I would say pretty much the basics of heat transfer.

Equipment wise I have access to a variety of equipment. CNC mills and lathes and various different testing equipment etc. Manufacturing the project should not be much of an issue.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook