1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Energy Equation Term - Chain Rule

Tags:
  1. Dec 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am going through a derivation of the thermal energy equation for a fluid and am stumped on one of the steps. Specifically, the text I am using converts the term:

P/ρ*(Dρ/Dt)

to:

ρ*D/Dt(P/ρ) - DP/Dt

where:
    ρ = density
    P = pressure
    D/Dt = material derivative

The text says this is done using the chain rule of differentiation but I can't derive it myself. I'm far removed from calculus so maybe i'm missing something simple but any help would be appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One of the two expressions you have needs an extra minus sign. Momentarily, I will show the calculus of the second expression with the chain rule... @kevman90 Do you know how to take the derivative of ## \frac{d(uv)}{dt}##? It is ## u (\frac{dv}{dt}) +v(\frac{du}{dt}) ##. In this case, ## u=P ## and ## v=1/\rho ##. With the chain rule, ## \frac{dv}{dt}=(\frac{dv}{d \rho}) (\frac{d \rho}{dt}) ##. Do you know how to compute ## \frac{d v}{d \rho} ## ? With that, you should be able to process the second expression that you have, but I think you will find that it equals the minus of your first expression.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. Dec 18, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry @Charles Link -- I was in the process of deleting the OP and warning for not showing enough work. But if you want to give a couple hints, that's probably okay.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  5. Dec 18, 2017 #4
    This makes sense - didn't think about using the product rule. I will work through it later but I think I've got it. Also my mistake with the minus sign I forgot to include it out in front of the first term. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted