Thermal expansion of each dimension of a solid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hoomanya
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am trying to work out how much each dimension of a solid (for instance an annular disc) made out of steel changes assuming that the solid is heated uniformly and is not constrained at any of its boundaries. Am I right in saying that, the linear expansion equation L = L_0 (1+ α ΔT) can be applied to each dimension individually or should the dimensions be considered related and/or the calculations are more complex?
Thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hoomanya said:
Am I right in saying that, the linear expansion equation L = L_0 (1+ α ΔT) can be applied to each dimension individually
You are right. You can apply that expansion formula to any linear dimension.